Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Rear axle bearings and seals

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NovaKaw650 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, i have a '96 bayou 400 that needs new seals on the rear axles. Do i need a special puller to remove the bearings from the axle tubes? I figger as long as i have it apart, i may as well install the new bearings along with the seals. Any knowledge shared is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
bearing removal

I've done bearings on bayou 220 axle,Honda 250x all around, 66 Mustang rear,and alot of heating/air conditioning units. I do'nt usually use special tools for the process. I would look up your quad in the quad manual to view the rears parts then tackle the job. I use a hammer and a black pipe nipple to knock out the old bearings. Use a flat blade screw driver to pull out outter seals. Make sure you remove retaining e-clips,spring clips, that could be retaining the bearing. When you put bearings and seals back in, use a block of wood and hammer to press back in. Or use a large socket to press back in tapping with a hammer. Do Not hit inner bearings or seals when installing.Only hit outter edge of bearings and seals when reinstalling. Do'nt try to bash in those parts in one swing of the hammer.Take your time tapping those parts in. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!! You only get two eyes!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
Dman66,
thank you for the insight. I looked this up in my manual, and it shows a puller being used. I guess i can decide on the best angle of attack when i pull it apart. And, i know a little tapping works better than beating the be-jesus out of a bearing. I've only had the machine for a couple of months. When i changed the oil in the rear diff, it came out like mud. I could see oil residue on the left axle housing and figgered a seal had bit the dust. And, i suspect the bearings are a little rusty by now. Bearings and seals are readily available on ebay. Thank you again, and happy riding!!!

#4 ·
Bearings and seals are readily available on ebay. Thank you again, and happy riding!!!
Do they take the same seals/bearings as the 300 Bayou? The reason I ask is because the 400 is a very rare machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.