Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View kevinv's Photo Gallery(0)
Default question about clutch adjustment on bayou

I have a bayou im working on that has been a real treat. Ive worked on this thing for weeks fixing everything it seems. Im down to the last thing and I have a question. This thing has been hard to shift for awhile, so I decided I would start taking it apart until I found the problem. Of course I tried adjusting the clutch with the 2 screws on the cover to no avail. I took the clutch cover off and noticed on the secondary clutch the nut was almost all the way off and half stripped. Lucky for me the shaft is a lot harder than the nut, so I ordered a new nut and reassembled it. I was playing around trying to adjust the bolts on the side so i was fooling with the shifter and broke the shift shaft off like a dummy. I noticed rust where the break happened so I know it was already an old wound from the years of forcing it to shift. I took a look at this shifting mechanism on the inside because all of the manuals/online info says how to adjust the clutch but doesnt really explain what each bolt does. The instructions in my manuals and the ones I have found online all say to fool with only the top screw. I dont like the instruction of turning it counterclockwise till hard then going clockwise till hard to adjust a clutch. So from looking at the inside i think it looks like the top bolt when turned counter clockwise adjust how close to the release mechanism is to the clutch. The bottom screw has like a concentric shaft that it looks to me like it adjust how far the release mechanism will push the clutch in. The books do not cover what to do with this bottom bolt and was wondering if anybody knew. Also, why do you guys think that bolt came loose? I was looking and it doesnt seem that the step on the shaft comes out far enough, looks maybe 1/100 inch low. I plan to torque it to spec and make it filthy with locktite unless you guys know another trick. I should have a new gasket and shaft this weekend but I dont want to ruin them so any help would be appreciated.
kevinv is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #2

View actionman's Photo Gallery(0)

The bottom adjuster is for the clutch release pivot, and my manual has the adjustment procedure. Check your message inbox for a link Im sending you!
actionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

View akbayou300's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Looking for the proper clutch adjustment procedure as well

I have a 91 Bayou 300 4x4 and I cannot find ANY information on how to adjust the bottom clutch adjustment screw-

And, I have heard 2 versions so far on adjusting the top screw:
version 1 -CW until tension then back off a it and lock it down.
version 2-CW until tension then CCW until tension then lock it down.

Can anyone tell me the correct adjustment for both the upper and lower
clutch adjustment screws
akbayou300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
1995 kawasaki bayou 300 clutch adjustment
220 bayou clutch
bayou 220 clutch adjustment
clutch in my bayoy
how to adjust clutch on kawasaki bayou 220
how to adjust clutch on kawasaki bayou 300
how to adjust the 2 clutch adjusters on a kawasaki bayou
kawasaki atv clutch adjustment

kawasaki bayou 220 clutch adjustment

kawasaki bayou 250 clutch adjustment

kawasaki bayou 300 clutch adjustment

kawasaki bayou clutch adjustment

kawaski 220 bayou clutch adjustment
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.