Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View mpj220's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Strange problem with Bayou 300

I am hoping that someone has heard of this before.

When out riding, my Bayou 300 will just decide after an hour or two to lose all throttle response. Basically, it feels like it is running out of gas. It will idle forever but, any input of throttle will cause it to die. I can limp home using about 3/4 choke and keeping the throttle JUST over idle.

Removing the fuel line shows excellent flow from the tank.

I have had the carb out numerous times. I thought that the float must have been sticking. No problems with the float.
Next, I thought that the needle may be jamming itself in the main jet - no problems there.
I am very good with carbs and have thoroughly cleaned this one. I did install a Dynojet kit (stage 1) designed for a stock Bayou 300 4x4.

Now here is the strange thing. When it does this, I found that it is pressurizing the gas tank. While it is idling, I can stick the vent tube in my mouth and feel the pressure expanding my cheeks.
When the machine is running normal, there is no "back" pressure from the tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
mpj220 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Did you install the DJ kit after the problem started, or before?
The only thing that causes pressure in the tank is heat. If you can't get it above an idle and you are going very slowly, this will cause the gas in the tank to heat up.
Two things come to mind: vapor lock or the carb freezing up; they will cause similar symtoms.
Did this problem start with the onset of cold weather? If so, simply shutting the hot engine off for 5 minutes should allow the engine heat to thaw the carb and let it run normally. If it's vapor lock, then shutting the engine off and letting it cool down should make it run well again.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #3

I don't have much history on the machine prior to the DJ kit. Bought the Bayou, went on one ride with no problems, then put in the DJ kit.

I am beginning to lean towards a stuck float valve. Once fully sealed off, the warm tank is allowing the fuel to expand.

Went out for a night ride last night and it died 4 times. It only happens when hitting some rough bumps under heavy power. I think what is happening is after being under full throttle for a bit, the level in the bowl drops a bit (as much as it possibly could under full throttle) and when hitting a big bump allows the float valve to get stuck.

When it does die, I remove the fuel line from the tank, fire it up, after it starts to lean out and cough, suddenly all is back to normal.

If I ride easy through woop sections - it runs all night.

After some searching online, it appears that Bayou 300's are notorious for having carb issues. The popular fix seems to be replacing the carb with some no brand name copy of a Honda TRX card available on ebay for $130. Many post claim this cures all Bayou problems. I just don't want to throw money at it only to find it was some vapor lock or something else.

I plan on putting the stock jetting back in today. Also, for kicks, coat the bottom of the tank with heat tape. If there is a way to make and fit a heat shield between the tank and motor, that will be done.

If it happens after that, ebay carb will be next.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #4

View hddi11's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by mpj220 View Post
I don't have much history on the machine prior to the DJ kit. Bought the Bayou, went on one ride with no problems, then put in the DJ kit.

I am beginning to lean towards a stuck float valve. Once fully sealed off, the warm tank is allowing the fuel to expand.

Went out for a night ride last night and it died 4 times. It only happens when hitting some rough bumps under heavy power. I think what is happening is after being under full throttle for a bit, the level in the bowl drops a bit (as much as it possibly could under full throttle) and when hitting a big bump allows the float valve to get stuck.

When it does die, I remove the fuel line from the tank, fire it up, after it starts to lean out and cough, suddenly all is back to normal.

If I ride easy through woop sections - it runs all night.

I plan on putting the stock jetting back in today. Also, for kicks, coat the bottom of the tank with heat tape. If there is a way to make and fit a heat shield between the tank and motor, that will be done.

If it happens after that, ebay carb will be next.
I am using the trx carb, the only thing is you may have to drill out the carb body JUST A LITTLE where the throttle cable goes in the carb. cranks 99% of the time without choke, but i do have the choke cable attached!!!!
hddi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #5

Bought the Bayou, went on one ride with no problems, then put in the DJ kit.
Pretty much answered the question right there.
You may have damaged the float while the carb was apart.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

Mercury Optimax 115hp
Lowrance Electronics
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by NovaKaw650 View Post
It has been apart and inspected numerous times.

And, yes, I am VERY experienced with carburetors.

Carb will come back out today, be disassembled, put in a carb bath for a good 4 hours, re-assemble with stock jetting and test after.

It could be as simple as a vapor lock being caused by the extra heat due to the dynojet kit. The stock main jet was a #125, the DJ kit uses a #110. After installing the DJ kit, the machine felt lean (to me) in the low end of the midrange. It was misfiring alot and throttle response was very flat. I contacted dynojet just to see if they had any notes on this - hoping to save time taking the carb out more than once. The tech there insisted that it was running rich and that I should raise the clip one notch. I did so and the machine ran worse. I then dropped the needle one notch below the recommended and it runs fine other than this strange problem.

I have read that these carbs can develop a problem in the float valve seat that causes the valve to stick. Some have used burnishing compound to clean the seat. I will inspect the seat with a magnifying glass.

Last edited by mpj220; 01-13-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by NovaKaw650 View Post
I have read that these carbs can develop a problem in the float valve seat that causes the valve to stick. Some have used burnishing compound to clean the seat. I will inspect the seat with a magnifying glass.
Again, it worked before the DJ kit, and doesn't now.
I know where I would be looking.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

Mercury Optimax 115hp
Lowrance Electronics

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
99 kawasaki bayou 300 shuts off when hot

bayou 300 loses power full throttle

bayou 300 running hot troubleshoot

how to unhook chock cable from a kawasika bayou 300

kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 runs rough and backfires

kawasaki 300 bayou carburetor problems
kawasaki bayou 300 4x4 replacement carb
kawasaki bayou 300 4x4 trouble cold starting

kawasaki bayou 300 choke cable

kawasaki bayou 300 problems

kawasaki bayou 300 running problem

kawasaki prairie 300 running bad

why is my 300 bayou only running with the choke on

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.