Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View JaCkaL829's Photo Gallery(0)
Default 2001 Prairie 400 Trouble Shifting??

Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing an 01 Prairie 400 2wd automatic quad. It's at a good price for a machine like this, and although isn't a garage queen, should fit my needs. I have a lot of experience with an 03 Prairie 360, so I feel confident buying another one.

Anyway I looked at itthis afternoon, it started up nice, ran totally fine. I wasn't able to test drive it since it's in a warehouse, and is 'buried' behind lots of boxes, etc. So when I went up and down a little 10 feet path, I noticed the shifting was very difficult. It was very difficult to go through R, N, H, L and required the shifter to be 'slammed' at times. It was as if the little button on the shifter did nothing. I was turned off by this, but I'm now wondering if this is a huge deal or not? It obviously needs to be tended to, but is it a big fix and something I should be majorly concerned with? I don't mind putting a little time and money into the bike, especially for what I wanna offer for it, but I don't want it to become too expensive and a burden on me.

I read on one forum people with kinda similar problems claiming bent linkage, or just needing to clean and re-lube the shifter. Are these expensive parts to replace?

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending a little money, and getting my hands dirty to repair the quad. I just don't want to spend a ton of money on it where I put more money into than the quad is actually worth.

Thanks!!!
JaCkaL829 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

The Prairie 400 is COMPLETELY different from the 360 (the 400 is a better machine) so any wrenching experience won't be applicable.
The linkage likely needs to be lubricated, although they are a little stiff at the best of times.
I can't remember when you need to push the button; I think it's for shifting to reverse and low range. Find out first; if you are beating on the shifter w/o pushing the button when it should have been pushed, then you will break something.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
03 kawasaki prairie automatic won't up shift

2001 kawasaki 400 atv

2001 kawasaki 400 will not go into high

2001 kawasaki prairie 400

2001 kawasaki prairie 400 4x4
2001 kawasaki prairie 400 review
2001 kawasaki prairie 400 transmission repair

2001 kawasaki prairie shifting troubleshooting

2001 preaire kawsakie gear problams
fix. on atv. 400. prarie. 2001
kawasaki prairie 400 shifting problems
kawasakiprairie 400 tranmission repair
shifting button stuck kawasaki prairie 300
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.