Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View cnskey's Photo Gallery(0)
Cool 1988 Bayou 300 Backfiring above idle

I have a 1988 Bayou 300 2WD that runs fine at idle and runs fine once get above 1/4 throttle. As it warms up it does better and better but never running like it should. The problem is always at about 1/4 throttle, it spits sputters and backfires until I get rpms higher then runs fine whether in gear or idling. It will run like a scalded dog as soon as you get past the sputter. Runs fine at top speed unless you let the rpms get down due to gearing you can feel it while rolling almost top speed but in 5th gear as the rpms lower a little if you slow down some and try to get back into the throttle once speed/rpms elevate goes back to running normally. I have had the carb rebuilt, everything seems to be adjusted properly, has a new stater, new plug, new fuel filter, new fuel lines, new fuel with a couple ounces of fuel cleaner, new air filter. This problem was exactly the same before and after all of these repairs. It seems to have made no difference no matter what. When it is cold it runs horrible until having warmed up at lease 5 minutes or so, as in it will die as soon as you so much as touch the throttle. One more bit of info, if you put the choke all the way up and drive it, it seems to help but the problem is still there.
cnskey is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

View foot0069's Photo Gallery(1)

Have been reading up on the cv type carbs as employed on the Bayou and Prairie bikes. I have a 2000 Bayou 300 2WD & a 2005 Prairie 360. Bought both of them as fixer uppers. Had to rebuild top end on both. Both had sat for a while and the carbs had gunked up. Cleaning out the carbs can sometimes require a piece of wire run through the small passageways inside the carb bodies. I soaked the Bayou carb in cleaner for a week and it still didn't completley clean those bores. These carbs have multiple circuits that come into play at different throttle settings. Your problem is occuring at just such a transistion. It may well be something still not completley clean or a set up issue. I am attatching some info about these carbs hope it helps. A valve adjustment is also a good idea. Checking the cam chain tightner once a year is another good practice. Or even installing a manual adjuster. Both of these actions will go a long way in preventing the chain streaching, which can wreak all kinds of deviltry. I just found the APE site last night I plan on installing one of these on both of my machines.
Jim

Cvcarbs

Keihin 32CVK Disassembly

[How to set your pilot screw adjustment.] - ATV Riders Forums - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris, CanAm, Arctic Cat, Kymco ATVs

http://www.aperaceparts.com/

Last edited by foot0069; 04-16-2011 at 12:33 PM.
foot0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

View foot0069's Photo Gallery(1)

Here's another one.
Jim

Care & Feeding Of The Keihin Carb
foot0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

View cnskey's Photo Gallery(0)

Wow, that is a ton of info. I will have to get to studying. I am almost wondering if buying a new carb would be a better alternative. I could take this thing apart 10 times and still miss a port. I work in an automotive dept. at a chevy dealer and have access to tons of mechanics. The one that built the carb is one of the best mechanics I've ever come across...as far as cars go definitely, small engines he can do to an extent but cars/trucks are his forte. But I've seen him fix some pretty off the wall stuff, usually give him time and he'll figure it out. He even had to admit he wasn't used to these type of engines. We are all pretty much at a loss though especially when we are almost certain it is a fuel/air issue and with all we changed to have no change whatsoever is crazy. Anyways, I appreciate the info greatly and will get to work, and let you know what happens.

Thanks again
cnskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

View Paradiseengine's Photo Gallery(0)

Was having the same trouble with mine but it would work perfect for a while then run like junk missin and backfiring, last time it started acting up I drove it home let it sit for 5 min and tried to start it. It acted like it was gonna start but never did. So i did a compression check and came up with 60psi, went for a leak down and exhaust valve failed. Made sure it wasnt adjusted too tight, then pulled the head. After removing the head I noticed the exhaust valve was open but not bent, a very gental tap with a rubber mallet and it seated right in place. Haven't put it back together due to a broken head bolt, but Iam thinking the exhaust valve sticking could have been my problem. Any other opinions on the matter?
Paradiseengine is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Tags
backfiring, get going, no power, rpm, throttle

Search tags for this page

1987 kawasaki bayou 300 proper air screw setting

1988 kawasaki bayou 300 carb adjustment
1988 kawasaki bayou carb diagram

bayou 300 back fires

how to adjust valves on kawasaki bayou 300

kawasaki 300 a 2001 idle adjustment

kawasaki bayou 300 back fires

kawasaki bayou 300 backfire
kawasaki bayou 300 carb adjustment

kawasaki bayou 300 carburetor settings

kawasaki bayou 300 runs but seems choke is always on no power after half throttle

kawasaki prairie 300 pilot screw adjustment

my 300 bayou backfires at full throttle is iot the coil

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.