Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Brutus3458's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Break-in period for new Brute

Just bought a 2011 Brute 750i........manual says the "first service" must be done after 10 hours, (which is an approximately $400 service). Seems too soon. What is everyones take on the when's, how's, and why's regarding the importance of the break-in period and the first service? Part of me says be very careful during this time and baby it since it's new and part of me says just ride the damn thing! Any insight would be great............
Brutus3458 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Premium Member

View kawboy1's Photo Gallery(0)

You will get a thousand different answers on "break in procedure" but I never baby anything......sure don't go full throttle for the first few hrs but don't baby it either.

You need different throttle settings during break in (varying loads) and run it through a few heat cycles ie get it up to operating temp then shut it down to cool and repeat a few times. A good trail ride with various conditions is a good way to do this.

Also I wouldn't be paying the stealer $400 for the first service......down here we can do our own service without affecting warranty so I would find out about that if I were you.

I would also only run dino oil for the first 20hrs or so dropping the first lot at 5hrs then 10hrs and then 20hrs along with a new filter each time.

After that it's up to you whether you switch to full syn oil or not. Thats the way I like to do it anyway.

LOONEY TUNED FST 765
LOONEY TUNED KFX450R

My You Tube videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?
feature=mhum
kawboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Premium Member

View bfb650b2's Photo Gallery(0)

Like kawboy1 stated on break-in.
Do the service yourself, nothing to it-just save your receipts.
I change that 1st oil at 60 miles, 2nd one at 200 and at 500 miles I switch over to Full syn oil but continue to use just 10w40 regular atv oil in the frt diff as I change it on a avg of every other ride, as I have found it is best to keep the frt diff oil fresh and clean.
Then I change the motor oil 3 times a year along with the rear dif fluid.
~WARN Front Bumper #88697~Ramsey 2500 Lb Winch~RICOCHET Belly/Floorboard Skid Plates~Teryx LED HeadLights~D2 OverFenders~Kimpex Rear Trunk.
Not finished yet

09 BF750 TEAM GREEN
Superatv EZ-Steer~1,500 miles/144 hrs.
4 $ale
bfb650b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

View Road Dog's Photo Gallery(0)

The main purpose of break in is to seat the rings and valves. Stick to the recommended schedule. I found out recently that some car makers add special additives at the factory to help with break in so premature oil changes are bad. This is mainly for cars that specify a full synthetic -- it's so slippery that the engine never breaks in. I have no idea what Kawasaki does.
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #5

View Tiara3100's Photo Gallery(0)

I believe the first service at 10 hours is required for the warranty. But, it doesn't mean you have to pay the dealer to do it. Warranty laws vary by state, but as long as you have the reciepts to prove the work was done, you should be fine. I had my dealer throw in the parts and supplies for the first service for free when I bought it, I just paid for the labor (Well under $200). At full price, the service was just under $200... so $400 is outrageous.

I recommend the 10 hour service as the oils have all the "leftovers" from the manufacturing process in them, such as metal shavings, cleaners, dust, etc....

After that, I change the oils whenever I play in a lot of deep water or mud. The motor and rears don't hold much fluid, so changing it is cheap insurance.

I would go easy for the first 5 hours or so... and then I would hit it a little harder each hour after that until Im running it all out...

Todays motors are built with better engineering, machining, and metals. So, I don't personally believe that a lengthy break in period is needed.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #6

View MinnKawi's Photo Gallery(0)

I'm breaking in a new one myself. My wifes Brute. Following the manual for the most part. Says to keep it around half throttle. Just using commone sense. Varying throttle position often, not maintaining one RPM for to long and not ever stabbing the throttle or holding it wide open. I plan to change all fluids at 100 miles which will be very soon.
MinnKawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

View Brutus3458's Photo Gallery(0)

This site is great! Thanks for the quick replies and good advice!
Brutus3458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Tags
break-in, brute, service

Search tags for this page
07 brute force 750 break in time
2012 brute force 300 oil change
2012 brute force 750 brake in
2012 brute force 750 oil change
2012 brute force oil change
2012 kawasaki brute force 750 break in period

2012 kawasaki brute force 750 oil capacity

brute force 750 break in

brute force 750 break in period
brute force 750 first service
how to break in a 2012 brute force 750
how to break in your kawasaki btute force
run in period for bruteforce
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.