Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View BigYoung's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Bayou 220 carb kit - idles too high

Guys,
I'm second owner of a 2001 Bayou 220 that was an adult ridden ranch utitlty vehicle. Bayou ran fine last summer than started leaking fuel from carb overflow and finally the throttle response dimished to where I decided to clean carb and install a Shindy carb kit.

Got all the new jets etc. installed (but kept the old jet needle as I didn't want to alter the setting and reinstalled carb on bike with the Idle Adj. screw and Pilot Air screw @ 1.5 turns open; cleaned air filter and connected carb to airbox. Bike starts quickly and over revs to 2000 plus rpms.

I checked the throttle cable and it is loose allowing slide to close - I thought it might be holding slide open on a high speed circuit, but it isn't.
Also pulled carb back out and changed the jet needle to the Shindy needle set to the 1st clip position - didn't change the rpms - still over reving.
Next I adjusting the Idle and Pilot Air screws out with no change and finally screwed them both in till seated - no change, bike stills starts quick and runs at fast rpms.

Bike starts quick has good throttle response when the throttle is wacked, it is just idleing too fast. What can I do to get the idle normal before I give up and take it to the shop? All comments are welcome.
BigYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #2

Anybody?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

TTT for comment
Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #4

All comments welcome - anyone?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Guys,

Got it figured out. I was using an aftermarket Shindy carb kit and installed the Shindy slide needle and left the OEM needle jet in the carb body. This caused the high idle as the Shindy needle has more of a taper which was a looser fit in the jet.

Next, I changed the slide needle back to OEM, but also changed the needle jet out to the Shindy jet. This was an oversize needle in the smaller jet which caused the engine to only idle under choke. It would rev and run WFO but did not idle. This is when I thought to match the needle to the jet and used both Shindy parts. Fourth notch from the bottem caused it to rev as in first paragraph; second notch from bottom had it idleing and runnning WFO. Hope this helps some else.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by BigYoung View Post
Guys,

Got it figured out. I was using an aftermarket Shindy carb kit and installed the Shindy slide needle and left the OEM needle jet in the carb body. This caused the high idle as the Shindy needle has more of a taper which was a looser fit in the jet.

Next, I changed the slide needle back to OEM, but also changed the needle jet out to the Shindy jet. This was an oversize needle in the smaller jet which caused the engine to only idle under choke. It would rev and run WFO but did not idle. This is when I thought to match the needle to the jet and used both Shindy parts. Fourth notch from the bottem caused it to rev as in first paragraph; second notch from bottom had it idleing and runnning WFO. Hope this helps some else.
I just read this thread for the first time. You did a good job of troubleshooting!
Now I know why I never use generic carb kits. If you would have bought a new factory needle and seat and a gasket set, you probably would have saved some heartache, lol.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2001 kawasaki bayou 220 has high idle
220 bayou carburetor settings
bayou 220 carb needle seat

bayou 220 carb settings

bayou 220 carburtor reved up too high

high idle on a 98 kawasaki bayou 220

installing a new carburetor on kawasaki bayou

kawasaki bayou 220 carb settings

kawasaki bayou 220 carburetor adjustment

kawasaki bayou 220 carburetor settings

kawasaki bayou 220 throttle cable

throttle cable needle back together on a 2000 kawasaki 220 bayou
were are the settings on a carburetor for bayou 220
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.