Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
TJH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View TJH's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Bayou 400 B4 Idle start problems

Have a 96 bayou 400 that'm a headache. The problem is with the idle at atart up. Most of the time at start it will idle rough and stall. If chocked it will seem to run abit better. If I them simply let the bike sit for 10 minuetes or so, it sometimes starts and runs like a new one. Once in a while it will start cold just like a new one. the idle problem is intermitant.
Things that I have done to this bike.
New plug, New cylinder, New piston, New rings, two new valves, valve job, new decompessor, new one way clutch, new torque limiter, chased wiring and repaired to remove potential shorts, disassembled and cleaned carb (initial setting on pilot jet set at 2 1/4 turns), Did find the pilot jet partially clogged and cleaned it with a wire.

One note: the vacuum diaphram appeared somewhat wrinkled, but not torn or holed.

I do ride this on my farm but it drives me nuts to keep starting and shutting down till it starts and runs clean.

Any help is appreciated
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
TJH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View TJH's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Bayou 400 B4 Idle start problems (Found problem)

Think I found the problem. For the benefit of others here's what i found. When I originally cleaned the carb, I did not check the float height. I hate getting a float off adjustment, so often just leave them alone. Took the carb apart again and measured float height. To my horror, it was probably 7mm to low. Changed the height to put it in the middle of factory specs. Wow, made a difference. Could run better at a slow idle, but it's acceptable for now. Explains why the previous owner had the pilot screw turned out 8 turns.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
1995 kawasaki bayou problems

400 bayou carburetor problem

93 bayou 400 cold

95 kawasaki bayou float adjustment

96 kawasaki 400 bayou valve adjustments

bayou 400 starting problems

how to adjust idle on kawasaki bayou
idle adjustment 400 bayou carb

kawasaki bayou 400 carburetor problems

kawasaki bayou 400 clutch adjustment

kawasaki bayou 400 hard starting

kawasaki prairie 400 rough stalls

starter idle limiter kawasaki bayou

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.