Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Bayou 400 B4 Idle start problems

6K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  TJH 
#1 ·
Have a 96 bayou 400 that'm a headache. The problem is with the idle at atart up. Most of the time at start it will idle rough and stall. If chocked it will seem to run abit better. If I them simply let the bike sit for 10 minuetes or so, it sometimes starts and runs like a new one. Once in a while it will start cold just like a new one. the idle problem is intermitant.
Things that I have done to this bike.
New plug, New cylinder, New piston, New rings, two new valves, valve job, new decompessor, new one way clutch, new torque limiter, chased wiring and repaired to remove potential shorts, disassembled and cleaned carb (initial setting on pilot jet set at 2 1/4 turns), Did find the pilot jet partially clogged and cleaned it with a wire.

One note: the vacuum diaphram appeared somewhat wrinkled, but not torn or holed.

I do ride this on my farm but it drives me nuts to keep starting and shutting down till it starts and runs clean.

Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
Bayou 400 B4 Idle start problems (Found problem)

Think I found the problem. For the benefit of others here's what i found. When I originally cleaned the carb, I did not check the float height. I hate getting a float off adjustment, so often just leave them alone. Took the carb apart again and measured float height. To my horror, it was probably 7mm to low. Changed the height to put it in the middle of factory specs. Wow, made a difference. Could run better at a slow idle, but it's acceptable for now. Explains why the previous owner had the pilot screw turned out 8 turns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.