Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Atheyst's Photo Gallery(0)
Default How to freshen up faded plastics?

Hello, looking to get this ATV for my girlfriend to ride because she keeps crashing mine into a tree. It's cheap and runs so figured it's a good deal as long as nothing else is wrong with it. The plastics look a bit worn and faded though. Is there a way to make it look nice and fresh again?
Atheyst is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

View coach robinson's Photo Gallery(0)

They'll be broke in about a week. I spent the better part of a month putting one together for my wife. First time we went out she rolled the bastard.

Wd 40 works good for a 1 time presentation but if its dusty it gets real filmy real quick while your riding.
coach robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

View Shagadelic's Photo Gallery(0)

Disclaimer: I got this off the Honda forum... but it worked..

after some research I tried this, first totally clean your atv, remove all the dirt and oil, and wax, then gently sand out the deep scratches with ultra fine sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool, once all the scratches are removed or diminished, don't panic your plastic will look pretty bad at this point, remove all the sanding dust and cleans and dry the plastic, now with a small clean wax applicator or small terry cloth towel swath start applying Holloway House Quick Shine( available at walmart) its an acrylic floor restorer that really sticks to the plastic and creates a tough shiny finish. plan on applying several coats, I put about 8 coats on mine, the product drys quick so by the time you get one coat one its time to apply another, you can use a heat gun to speed the process, after the 3rd or fourth coat you will be feeling better! and the plastic will begin to look new again, the more scratched up it is the more cats it takes. After you've reached the desired shine its time for the most important step, after the finish totally drys (20-30min)
wax the entire surface with a high qualitycar wax(cleaner wax) this will cut down the surface like rubbing compound on clear-coat and make the finish shine like crazy and increase the color depth, really rub it well and you will be in awe of the results, you should now have plastic that looks better than new and has a tough finish( this stuff is made to walk on) here's a before pic and pic of mine after process, good luck..

P/S: this is not permanent but lasted about 8 months first time and the u just clean quad and re-apply floor stuff and wax. I only sanded and smoothed my old foreman the 1st time, and my dad now owns that quad and it still looks good. HOPE THIS HELPS

Shagadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View Sonic83's Photo Gallery(3)

Armor All Tyre Foam works pretty well on plastics, also gives them that "wet" look.

'04 KFX700: Rocker Mod|10 Degree Key|X-Over|Muzzy SP|12 Hole Mod|Twin-Air|VFJ Stage3+SM|VFJ #1 Primary Spring|Precision Pro Stabilizer|G-Force Extended Rear Hubs|Razr2's All Round|IMS Pegs|Shorty Shifter|Honda Throttle|ODI Grips|Jettrim Seat Cover
Sonic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

View tmfisher57's Photo Gallery(0)

I've read on another forum that "Maxima SC-1" is the stuff you want. It's a silicone detailer in a spray can for around 8 bucks. This stuff has 5 star reviews, I'm gonna try it.
ASR Pro-X Tie Rods, Streamline Steering Stabilizer
Uni Air Filter, 2012 Seat, Eagle Eye HIDs, Red Parking Lights
Warn 2.5 Winch W/Amsteel, Buss Fix,
26" Grim Reaper Tires, 14" MSA M-17 Bronze Elixer Wheels
Oil Cooler Mod, Catch Can Mod, Temp. Gauge
tmfisher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #6

View Atheyst's Photo Gallery(0)

Shagadelic that is an amazing before an after. Thanks for the tips guys. Obviously you can't polish out dents but is it possible to hide them at all? I was using a long wrench as a lever to bend the rack upward after it was rolled and it slipped and left an indent in the plastic. You guys are very knowledgeable. Thanks for all the help.
Atheyst is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
brighten faded plastic
cleaning atv plastic
holloway floor wax for atv
honda atv plastic polish
how to brighten faded plastic
how to clean atv plastic

how to clean atv plastics

how to clean four wheeler plastic
how to polish atv plastic
how to restore atv plastics
how to restore faded atv plastic
how to restore faded plastic on atv
how to restore shine on atv plastic
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.