Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View RogerLMills's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Bayou 220 engine noise

Ok folks, I know this is gonna be difficult, just that I don't want to pull stuff apart willy-nilly.
Got a noise. Starting with the light clicking a loose rocker can make on up to the dull thunk a rod bearing can make, this is a 'clack' that is roughly every other rotation, maybe even less. Somewhat metallic in character. Follows RPM, does not change with warmup. It starts and runs fine, rev's good, all gears work fine with no change to noise in neutral or in gear, moving or not. No change with engine load, ie rev in neutral or wide open low RPM in 5th.
Valve lash is spot on. Changed oil, no metal in filters. ??????

Any ideas??
Roger Mills
RogerLMills is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Update, checked chain tensioner to see if it was stuck or ? No luck, it's working fine, slides in smooth and locks in any position against pressure. Next is to pull the clutch for inspection and see what happens to noise if I leave it out and start it up. Don't think it will help cause noise stays the same regardless of in gear, or not, driving or stopped.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Another update: Checked cam bearings and rocker pins etc. Rocker pins just shiney where rockers sit, rocker bushings also just shined up a bit. Cleaned and oiled cam bearings then spun them--smooth, quiet. Cam lobes show no wear. Checked chain in several areas--no stretching noted. Re-installed everything and checked valve lash--right on. Still has clacking noise.

All I could do today, it's 20 degrees for a high. Hate the idea of going much deeper so any ideas would be welcome.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #4

View Denning12591's Photo Gallery(0)

I am also having some problems with my 220 bayou. I had some holes in my airbox lid and went and rode and I sucked in some water numerous times. The bike never died in water would just big down really low I would shift down to first and it would be ok. Well got home drained oil and it had some water. I pulled the plug and filled with gas and turned over a few times. Drained that and repeated. Then filled with oil and started. When I rev it up it smokes out of the exhaust but does not smell like burnt oil. Does not have blue tint and does not leave black residue on my hands. I also have a knock on the right side of engine. I have no clue what it is. Does not sound different in gear or not in. Sometimes it sounds like the lifters kind of. Or maybe valves. I'm not sure but other times it is just a knock. I have drained the oil 4 times since then and it still looks milky. Please advise any further help.
Denning12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

Thanks Denning,
Your noise sounds like what I have, louder than valve click, more metalic than a rod bearing, in gear or out, any gear fwd or rev--sounds the same. Heavy load or light--sounds the same. One post elsewhere re the 300 said there is a nut behind the clutch that can come loose due to retainer breaking but noise does not change when clutch in or out so ???? Hate to just ride it until it finally breaks!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #6

I started a thread about mine and the people said they think I might have spun a bearing or bent something.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

View jeremy93ls's Photo Gallery(0)

We're in the same boat, Roger. I've narrowed it down to piston slap or maybe the clutch with my '08 250

does it sound like this? wait for the :20 second mark for the noise

Please update us after you inspect the clutch. I haven't pulled my cover off yet.
jeremy93ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #8

Have you considered a spun bearing? From far away it kinda sounds like a tapping but then when you get close up more of a knock
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #9

Very similar but not as "sharp". Yours sounds more like a rod, old school cause they are not babbit bearings so?? I narrowed mine down using a tapered bar to my ear and touching it on the engine at various places. Loudest noise comes from behind the crank on right side. BUT, also loud at top of engine. Gonna pull the cam to check for flat spot or dishing on LE of lobes. Adjusting rockers changes noise, so maybe just a cam. Quad is put away for winter right now--it's 20 during the day and a foot of snow so far.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

have you had to take the bottom end apart? i am in need of a balancer nut remover.

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
220 kawasaki bayou engine noise
98 kawasaki bayou 220 knocking
bayou 220 modifications
bayou 220 ticking
do all 220 bayou atv make motor noise

do kawasaki 220 bayous all knock

dose napa have a flywheel puller for a 2000kawasaki bayou 220 atv
how to fix smoking kawasaki bayou 250
kawasaki 220 bayou engine noise
what cause a kawasaki 4 wheelers making loud noise in engine
what would cause crank knock when hot on a kawasaki bayou 300

why dose a kawasaki bayou 220 rattles when it run

why is kawasaki 250 bayou motor knocking
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.