Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View fscogin's Photo Gallery(0)
Default bayou 300 starting problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am in need of some advice. We own a 94 Bayou 300 and I'm having starting problems. If i use the starter switch when the engine is cold it will turn over nicely but will not start. I appear to be getting a spark to the plug but not sure how strong. Using the pull start results in starting reliably although even with the compression relief engaged I have a hard time getting it going (my son is much stronger than I am and can start it every time). After it has run for just a short amount of time it can be restarted reliably with the starter button for the rest of the day. It runs beautifully after being started by the way. After it sits over night, the sequence is repeated - won't start via the starter switch/starter motor but starts with pull starter and after the first start is able to be "cranked" immediately by using the electric starter. I just bought the Haynes manual and would like to get to the bottom of this because it is inconvenient to have to find a strong guy every time I need to use the Bayou on our farm . Thanks for any help you can provide.
fscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #2

View Steele's Photo Gallery(0)

Had the same problem with 1998 300 4x4 and eventually led to bigger problems with ground being off. Cleaned carb, wasn't the problem. Replaced Battery, and cleaned ground, wasn't the problem. Now starter button won't work, starter is fine checked with other power source direct. Some say wire to solenoid, but definitely a ground issue. Please send me an update on your repair.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #3

Steele,
Still haven't solved the problem. I can get it to start sometimes but it only provides a spark at the plug when I release the starter switch. The guy at the Kawasaki dealership said "battery problem" when I described it to him but I have a new battery in and I've polished the battery cables to a shine. What I haven't checked is where the battery is grounded to the frame or engine block. Let me know if you figure anything out.
Forrest
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #4

View bayou757's Photo Gallery(0)

i would definatly check your ground to the engine block
bayou757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Bayou757,
I disconnected the ground cable from the battery to the engine block and cleaned it up good. Was a little hard to get to. Reconnected, did not solve the problem. So, I'm still looking for a solution.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
TFR

View TFR's Photo Gallery(0)

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I've been searching the web for an answer to this, as I have exactly the same problem on the same bike.

Weird isn't it?

Hope you find the answer, please post if you do!
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

View blm510's Photo Gallery(0)

If you have a book look up the tasting procedures for the ignation box and rectofier when you replace do both one will take the other out my 96 would only spark when i let off the starter button.

B
blm510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
TFR

View TFR's Photo Gallery(0)

Yes, exactly the same symptoms here...when this "thing" occurs there's no spark until let off the button.

I have changed CDI, coil, plug.

There's not much left to change apart from the wiring loom. At the moment I'm thinking I have a dodgy wire somewhere causing the intermittent fault. Either that or the starter motor is causing issues, but as it spins the engine up I'm not so sure.
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #9

View blm510's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by TFR View Post
Yes, exactly the same symptoms here...when this "thing" occurs there's no spark until let off the button.

I have changed CDI, coil, plug.

There's not much left to change apart from the wiring loom. At the moment I'm thinking I have a dodgy wire somewhere causing the intermittent fault. Either that or the starter motor is causing issues, but as it spins the engine up I'm not so sure.

It may be the rectofier they work together to creat spark and from MY experience on a 1990 & a 1996 change both if you find one is bad.

B
blm510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

View DOPRESTON's Photo Gallery(0)

Don't know if this will help, but check your valve clearances. I've had many bikes through the years and the intake valve being to tight will keep it from starting off the electric starter, but I could pull start it with the throttle wide open every time. Adjusted the valves and it would start right up.
DOPRESTON is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
1990 kawasaki bayou 300 fire but wont start
1995 kawasaki 300 turns over but wont start help
1996 kawasaki 300 atv wont fire
300 kawasaki bayou not starting
crymer kawasaki bayou 400 starter problems
kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 will not start
kawasaki atv troubleshooting
kawasaki bayou 300 starter problem

kawasaki bayou 300 troubleshooting

kawasksie bahu 300 dose it got to have a battire to start
starter 96 kaw
why does the starter on my kawasaki bayou overheat when starting
y want my 1999 kawasaki bayou 300 start the 1st time without having to pull start it
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.