Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Prairie Under Pressure's Photo Gallery(0)

if you over filled it with oil it will foam up and blow it into the air box. You said you ran it near top speed so you rev'ed it pretty hard. You need to clean it out, add the correct amount of oil. Unplug the hose you plugged up. Change the spark plugs and drive it. If it is still actiing up, the sea foam may have cleaned enough junk out of the carb to clog a jet. If that is not it...motor time from running it low on oil. Let us know what happened. These engines are very forgiven for anything except low oil!

2007 Cadilliac Escalade ESV 403 hp 6 speed trans
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad cab
1996 Dodge Cummins turbo Diesel 280HP 680TQ
2004 Prairie 700
2001 Polaris 500 HO
2003 Honda 250EX
2004 Kawasaki Bayou 250
2000 EZ-GO Golf Cart lifted/off Road
2001 Kawaski KX125
2001 Kawasko KX100
2002 KAwasaki KLX125
2004 Carter Talon 150cc GO Cart
2006 50cc R1 Super mini bike
Prairie Under Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

View nate_1503's Photo Gallery(0)

Thinking sea foam cleaned up dirty needle valves, now leaking causing poor running gas in oil thus to much oil which equals oil watered down with gas blowing out into airbox explains all issues...
nate_1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #13

View Prairie Under Pressure's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by nate_1503 View Post
Thinking sea foam cleaned up dirty needle valves, now leaking causing poor running gas in oil thus to much oil which equals oil watered down with gas blowing out into airbox explains all issues...

Sounds right to me also. He really needs to change the oil and plugs and check the carbs if they are flooding. Gas in oil for 2 long equals engine failure.

2007 Cadilliac Escalade ESV 403 hp 6 speed trans
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad cab
1996 Dodge Cummins turbo Diesel 280HP 680TQ
2004 Prairie 700
2001 Polaris 500 HO
2003 Honda 250EX
2004 Kawasaki Bayou 250
2000 EZ-GO Golf Cart lifted/off Road
2001 Kawaski KX125
2001 Kawasko KX100
2002 KAwasaki KLX125
2004 Carter Talon 150cc GO Cart
2006 50cc R1 Super mini bike
Prairie Under Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #14

View 1.Random.guy's Photo Gallery(0)

Ok, I unplugged the hose. The oil was/is definitely over filled and it makes sense that it would cause it to come out the carbs. Thing is I had oil dripping prior to the over fill... The whole reason I added oil in the first place. I am going check compression and going to take the carbs off and clean them nicely. Change the plugs and oil/filter. I didnt really run it very long with what I thought was low oil... Maybe only a mile or so. While riding just before I came home I had it up on two wheels running through a pond.. It kind of stuttered right as I got out.

I forgot to mention.. I just put a dynatek in about three days prior and hadnt had time to shim the needles. I thought I could temporarily compensate for the lean by turning the screws about 3 turns out. Seemed like that took care of the leaning issue. It wasnt poppin through the carbs after that.
Will running lean burn off oil so fast that you would go from full to low within an hour or two of riding?
When I added the seafoam to the gas I added a half can to about maybe a half tank. Towards the end of the tank I had the issue and the it all snowballed from there.
I guess now with all the plastics off I can get around to wetsanding and buffing those babies new again.

Thanks for the insight and all the help guys. Keep it coming!! I wont be able to do anymore work unitl I get out of work on tuesday.. 24 hour shifts stink when you want to get stuff like this done....

Last edited by 1.Random.guy; 06-17-2012 at 06:06 PM.
1.Random.guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

1/2 can of SF in a couple of gallons of gas is way too much, and may cause it to run rough.
Running lean won't make the oil level drop. You did the right thing by opening the pilot screws; you may not have to shim the needles just because of the new CDI.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Premium Member

View kawboy1's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by 1.Random.guy View Post
Why would there be oil in the airbox to begin with? Prior to the hose plugging..
It's pretty common on these v-twins. Don't overfill the oil, some also have the prob on steep hills and when doing wheelies. The solution is to run an oil catch can so the breather hose from the motor no longer goes to the air box, do a search and you will find plenty of info on it.

Clean all the oil out of the air box and check the carbs to see if there is any in them and clean thoroughly. While you have the air cleaner off clean and re-oil it too. Then follow the hose that arches over the air cleaner base, there will be a hose coming from the under side of the base and it should NOT be plugged as that is the carb bowl vent. The other hose next to it is a drain for the air box, it has a plug that can be removed to drain air box. Once you make sure the carbs are absolutely clean throw some new plugs in and fire it up. It might smoke a little until it burns off any oil that is in the combustion chamber and exhaust.

LOONEY TUNED FST 765
LOONEY TUNED KFX450R

My You Tube videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?
feature=mhum
kawboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #17

Ok, So I got the carbs off and cleaned the heck out of them.. Shimmed the needles(One washer) Cut two loops off the spring(Seemed like I could of took off a few more), Changed the oil(correct amount), Polished the slides, and put it all back together. After I finally got it started it ran well.. Smoked of course, because of all the oil it had to clear out.
Im kinda of back to square one though... It is having a difficult time starting. It will not start on the battery alone. I have to jump it off of my car to start it. The battery alone turns it fine, but doesnt seem to turn it as quickly as a jump does. Even with the jump it is not wanting to start and does so very gradually at 1/4 throttle without choke in about 10 senconds or more. I used to get it started alot easier with choke and 1/4 throttle... Maybe 3 to 5 seconds of turning
This starting issue was the initial problem that night before I over filled it with oil.
The battery is reading 12.4 on the meter pre start and drops to 11.4 with the starter turning. that seems like enough juice to me.
So what is the deal?
Why doesnt it start like most bikes on the first or second revolution?
As I said earlier... I recently added the dynatek.. Isnt that supposed to give more spark to the start? Did it burn out my coils or something?

Last edited by 1.Random.guy; 06-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Try adjusting the valves.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #19

I was thinking maybe that might be the problem. Thing is... I have no idea how to adjust the valves. LOL
Guess its time to start reading.

Starting to find a bunch of info on this... I guess this is one of the most common issues.

Last edited by 1.Random.guy; 06-20-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #20

With the valve adjustment as off as it sounds... After making the adjusting... Do you think I will notice a change in performance?

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page

can seafoam fix a misfire

carter talon 150 top speed
how much seafoam to use in atv
is it good to run seafoam in a harley
sea foam atv

seafoam atv

seafoam blown engine

seafoam fix misfire
seafoam for atv
seafoam in atv

seafoam in atv gas

seafoam in atv oil
seafoam on harley makes alot of smoke?
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.