Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Premium Member

View Mikeyboy_esq's Photo Gallery(13)
Lightbulb Common Mechanical Problems of the BF750i/650i

Thought it might be helpful to make a list of the most COMMON mechanical problems/weaknesses that occur on the BF750i and BF650i. (NOT including the BF650sra b/c that is a separate list). This list could be helpful for new BF 750i and BF650i owners and/or someone interested in buying one.

I'll start the list (in no particular order)...please post below with any suggestions you have to add to this list.

BRUTE FORCE COMMON MECHANICAL PROBLEMS:

1) Stock oil seals on engine and front/rear diff tend to leak; Fix: Keep an eye on them and replace as needed (no aftermarket seals available at this time)

2) Stock front and rear shocks are too soft for fast-paced riding; Fix: replace with aftermarket shocks

3) Stock CDI is very restricted on carb'd models; Fix: replace with aftermarket CDI to eliminate low speed and top speed retarded ignition timing and to increase maximum ignition timing

4) Stock radiator tends to plug up with dirt/mud and cause engine overheating; Fix: Thoroughly clean the radiator fins with a water hose on a frequent basis (don't use a pressure washer), especially needed after a muddy or dusty ride. Some folks install a fan switch and operate the fan continuously during rides.

5) Stock bushings on front and rear a-arms wear out fast/have no grease zerks; Fix: Replace with aftermarket bushings

6) Stock actuators for the KEBC and 2wd/4wd tend to fail within a few years; Fix: Some folks remove the KEBC actuator and fork and live without the KEBC function. A few folks have also removed the 2wd/4wd actuator and modified it to function manually via a choke cable set-up. If you don't want to make those changes, you can occasionally disassemble the stock actuators to clean, lubricate and reseal with silicone/gasket maker.

7) Stock radiator fan breaker tends to malfunction; Fix: Replace with inline fuse.

8) Pre-2007 BF750i stock front a-arms cause hard steering; Fix: reduce castor angle or replace the upper and lower the stock a-arms with later model BF750i a-arms.

9) Stock front diff may break/lock-up, especially if jumping while in 4wd or if one of the oil seals leaks; Fix: Avoid jumping while in 4wd, change the front diff oil as recommended, and keep an eye on the oil seals.

10) 2007-10 BF750i rear differential ring and pinion locking nut sometimes comes loose; Fix: Apply red loctite to the nut and torq to spec

11) Stock Airbox intake snorkel needs better splash protection to prevent water from entering the airbox during shallow water crossings; Fix: Install EHS Mudder Lid or install full snorkels.

12) 2005 & 2006 BF750i had buss connectors that would sometimes cause odd electrical problems; Fix: Cut the wires and solder all the white wire together and all of the black wires together.

13) Stock tie rods bend too easily; Fix: Replace with stronger aftermarket tie rods.

14) ANYTHING ELSE ???
2002 Prairie 650 (parted out)

Happy trails...

Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; 09-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Mikeyboy_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Snyiper's Photo Gallery(0)

Now haven't most of these been addressed with the 2012 models?

Gun Control is never having to say "I missed you"
Snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Premium Member

Possibly, but I would still like to complete this list for all of those who already bought and/or are considering buying in the future a pre-2012 model BF.

Thanks.

Happy trails...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

View Jakesbrute's Photo Gallery(0)

Just the poor bushing setups on the front and rear a-arms that have no grease zerks.
Jakesbrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

View TStubb's Photo Gallery(0)

The KEBC acting up, I removed my fork and am happy with it The rear brake cable freezing up in winter. Some cable lube and the cable lube tool is a quick fix.

Mikeyboy is the Moose Module assocciated with the CDI or ECU??? , reason i ask is because I have one and it didn't do a thing. Everyone else claims their's is a wheelie monster with one.
3,000lb KFI, HMF Slip-on, Dirt Commanders & STI Wheels, ITP Hole Shots & Vision Wheels, Ricochet Skids, Moose Power Module, No-Toil Airfilter, Power Madd Hand Guards, A3 Grips, Kawasaki Shock Covers, 2" Reciever, Temp Gauge, Ogio Bag, 2 Kolpin Jrs.
TStubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Premium Member

TStubb,
The Moose module (not same thing as Moose brand CDI...which is actually a Dyna CDI with Moose label) is not as good as an aftermarket CDI. The Moose module (or any other brand module) only eliminates the low end retarded timing and does not increase the max ignition timing or eliminate the top end retarded timing.

Happy trails...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

So the CDI gets rid of the rev limiter?
3,000lb KFI, HMF Slip-on, Dirt Commanders & STI Wheels, ITP Hole Shots & Vision Wheels, Ricochet Skids, Moose Power Module, No-Toil Airfilter, Power Madd Hand Guards, A3 Grips, Kawasaki Shock Covers, 2" Reciever, Temp Gauge, Ogio Bag, 2 Kolpin Jrs.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Premium Member

TStubb,
The aftermarket CDI still has a rev limiter (which may or may not be higher than stock), but that is not what I meant above when I said it removes the top-speed retarded timing. What I meant was that the STOCK CDI retards the ignition timing at idle (upto a certain speed - say 10mph) and slowly increases to a max of 28 degrees ignition timing, then the ignition timing goes down when it reaches a certain rpm or speed (say above 60mph). The result is an ignition timing chart looks like a bell curve.

On the other hand, an aftermarket CDI (like the Dyna CDI) will have a higher ignition timing at idle and reach max ignitition timing sooner (say 33 degrees) and hold that ignitition timing until it hits the rev limiter. The result is that you take-off quicker (assuming you have good traction), have more throttle response in the mid-range and have a higher top-speed (typically 3 to 5 mph more).

Someone please correct me if I misstated anything above...I'm going off my memory from a long time ago.

Thanks,

Happy trails...

Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; 07-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

I've always thought the CDI gets rid of the rev limiter or increases it to a point that it is a risk or possiblity of blowing the motor up, that's why I stayed away. Advancing the timing, does that hurt it at all? And can this be ran with the moose module?

Any one got one for sale?

Just read online you need to rejet with a CDI, well that sucks

Last edited by TStubb; 07-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #10

View DaveFroti's Photo Gallery(0)

"2) Stock front and rear shocks are too soft for fast-paced riding; Fix: replace with aftermarket shocks"

Alternative might be using other factory shocks from different ATV manufacturers. I'de be interested in finding out which ones fit our ATVs.
I know the Grizzly front Shocks work for the rears on the Brutes. But are there Any alternatives other then the grizzly and what about the fronts?

thanks Dave F.

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2012 kawasaki brute force problems
750 brute force problems

brute force 750 problems

brute force 750 review
brute force problems
common problems with brute force 750
kawasaki 650 brute force problems
kawasaki 650i problems

kawasaki 750 brute force problems

kawasaki brute force 650 problems

kawasaki brute force 750 problems

kawasaki brute force problems

problems with brute force 750
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.