Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View turbodogz's Photo Gallery(0)
Default No reverse

I have a 99 Prairie 300 4x4 KVF300. About a year ago I was having carburetor issues and the motor kept stalling out. I have since rebuilt the carb and it works like new.

However, one of the ripple effects of the bad carb was that we had the idle turned up to keep from stalling. This resulted in slamming whenever the gear selector was moved from neutral, either to H or R.

Recently, the reverse gear stopped working. That is, you can move the lever into position but the light does not come on, nor does the transmission shift into reverse.

I have looked around on the forums and the likely causes are a damaged shift fork or broken reverse gear chain.

In looking at the Kawa Service Manual, it looks like a daunting process: pull the motor, pull the tranny, split the crankcase, fix parts and put it all back together again. One estimate I got today was for $700 in labor plus parts.

I know its my own damn fault for running it like I was , so now what I want to know is how hard is it really going to be if I do this myself? Has anyone done this? Are there any other likely causes? What other resources are out there for this process?
turbodogz is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View rdm531's Photo Gallery(0)

should not be that hard i split the v- twins all the time with no problems ,just follow the service manual
06 650i,sleeved to 85mm, fst 11.5-1 pistons, fst stage 2 cams,hd value springs,dyna fs ing,full hmf exhaust, hl springs & lift,29.5skinny laws, 1.5in spacers front/2.5 spacers rear, 3000hd warn winch, 2in center snorkels,rad relocated/brush guard&wind screen,aux driving lights,back up light/brush guard,front mounted recever hitch,custom 4 gauge cluster, oil temp, oil press, water temp, an return oil temp,rmax manual 4wd,oil cooler,b/w boston(mud)terrior goes everwhere 4 wheeler gos. ez steer
rdm531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

View Benzump's Photo Gallery(0)
Cool

Let me know how this goes for you. I have the same issue. Was pushing snow with my prairie 300 4x4 and it was about to stall so I hit the throttle and slammed it into reverse. Did not move an inch. Tried to go forward and could only here very bad grinding noises. I'm guessing I broke a fork in the crankcase. I can get the forward gears to engage by moving the shift rod and trying to turn the drive shaft. When i put it in reverse the drive shaft just spins freely. Have the right side apart down to the clutch but need help getting that thing of the crankshaft! Do I just need to buy one of those pullers/pushers? Do I have to remove the spider first? Can I just get into the crankcase from this side or do I need to take the entire engine apart? I will be ordering a manual tomorrow!!
Benzump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Benzump View Post
Let me know how this goes for you. I have the same issue. Was pushing snow with my prairie 300 4x4 and it was about to stall so I hit the throttle and slammed it into reverse. Did not move an inch. Tried to go forward and could only here very bad grinding noises. I'm guessing I broke a fork in the crankcase. I can get the forward gears to engage by moving the shift rod and trying to turn the drive shaft. When i put it in reverse the drive shaft just spins freely. Have the right side apart down to the clutch but need help getting that thing of the crankshaft! Do I just need to buy one of those pullers/pushers? Do I have to remove the spider first? Can I just get into the crankcase from this side or do I need to take the entire engine apart? I will be ordering a manual tomorrow!!
You need a puller for the clutch specifically for the 300; NOT the 360, 650, 700, 750.
Pull the engine out of the frame, get a factory service manual, and split the cases.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Got the puller from a dealer and using an impact wrench was able to get the clutch of in about 20 seconds!!! I have the entire engine, tranny,etc out of the frame. First thing I found wrong was the front bevel gear had some chewed up teeth and the rear bevel gear was missing about 4-5 teeth!! Well they weren't missing they were in the gear case. Now that the engine is out I am having trouble splitting the case. I have all the bolts out including the ones that are hidden behind the pull rope cover. I can get it about 3/8 to 1/2 apart but no farther. Do I have to get the head off first? Do I need to get the tensioner chain off first? I don't have a manual yet have just been using parts diagrams so far. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

You're going to need a service manual for this one.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View rdm531's Photo Gallery(0)

are you saying the cylinder an head ,are still on the engine,
06 650i,sleeved to 85mm, fst 11.5-1 pistons, fst stage 2 cams,hd value springs,dyna fs ing,full hmf exhaust, hl springs & lift,29.5skinny laws, 1.5in spacers front/2.5 spacers rear, 3000hd warn winch, 2in center snorkels,rad relocated/brush guard&wind screen,aux driving lights,back up light/brush guard,front mounted recever hitch,custom 4 gauge cluster, oil temp, oil press, water temp, an return oil temp,rmax manual 4wd,oil cooler,b/w boston(mud)terrior goes everwhere 4 wheeler gos. ez steer
rdm531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #8

I got the crankcase to split!!!! I indeed did still have the head on. I took the tensioner chain off and that allowed me to get the head off and then it was no trouble to split the case. The culprit was a broken reverse chain in the transmission. Although what came first the chain break or the gear teeth???? Anyway, I ordered a manual tonight and about $700.00 in parts to start the repair and attempt to put everything back together again. Any tips on how to compress the spring on the rear drive shaft to be able to get the nut back on - luckily nothing went flying too far when the nut came loose!! Also, I couldn't see on any parts diagram a gasket for in between the two halves of the case? Should I use some type of gasket goop in there?
I am a relatively inexperienced with this type of repair work, but I had alot of time to kill and didn't want to pay a shop to take everything apart. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #9

View pennell33's Photo Gallery(0)

Once you got things apart what ended up being the issue? I just recently bought a 1999 prairie with no reverse
pennell33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Tags
gear, kvf300, reverse, selector, transmission

Search tags for this page

05 kawasaki brute force wont go in reverse

2002 kawasaki prairie 300 no reverse

changeout the reverse chain on 2000 kawasaki prarie
how do you fix reverse on a 2002 kawasaki prairie 300 4x4
kawasaki bayou reverse not working

kawasaki brute force no forward

kawasaki brute force reverse doesn't work
kawasaki prairie 300 4x4 how many gears

kawasaki prairie 300 no reverse

kawasaki prairie no reverse
prairie 300 hard to shift

reverse on a bayou kawasaki

which side do i go in on to change a reverse chain for a 2002 kawasaki praire 300

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.