Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

What's that ticking noise?

853 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kawboy1 
#1 ·
Soooo I have a BF 650 SRA that has started making a ticking noise in the front end mostly on the left side. Only seems to make it in 4wd when under power which is a lot when I am plowing or towing. I got looking and decided to change front brakes and diff oil to eliminate anything simple and it seemed to be a faster tick after the oil change. Only thing I can see without tearing into it is a little grease on one of the front half shafts like my upper cv boot/joint is bad maybe? I Did hit a chunk of flood trash a couple years ago that stuck a big chunk of wood between the a-arm and the axle but nothing is bent...or maybe a diff lock adjustment issue? Really hoping it's something simple. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Thanks for the help I will look into changing that out. How difficult is it to change? Do I need to do both sides at once?

#4 ·
Not difficult at all especially if just replacing the whole shaft. A little more involved if pulling and disassembling to clean, repack and replace boot but check out YouTube for some how to vids. Most all cv's are the same process. If the other side has no noise leave it be. Sounds as though it was caused by something hitting the cv boot which dislodged or tore it allowing crap in so likely isolated to that particular cv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.