Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

32 hours good enough?

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  acesilverback 
#1 ·
My engine builder told me to run break in oil for 40 hours before putting normal oil back in, and to vary the throttle as much as possible during that time. I am at 32 hours right now, and have a ride planned with some friends to run a groomed snowmobile trail at 10,000 feet elevation. I've done this ride before, and it is pretty steep grades. Combined with the high altitude and soft snow, it pretty much requires steady 3/4 to full throttle to keep moving along. Also, its not uncommon to start the ride at zero to negative temps. So I'd like to put my synthetic oil in and do this ride. Question is, am I jumping the gun a bit at 32 hours? Should I postpone the ride until I can get 8 more hours in?
When I was messing around with two strokes, we'd put new pistons in, do a couple practice laps, then run hard in the race. But two strokes are a different animal. Dont know if these forged piston four strokes really need 40 hours.....

#3 ·
I would have changed it a long time ago.
What do you consider "break-in" oil?

#11 ·
I have changed it twice already.
The original stuff the builder put in was Rotella T4 15w-40. When it started getting really cold here, I switched over to Kawasaki 10w-40 dino.

#12 ·
I remember when my friend got his raptor we beat the balls off it brand new that day

#7 ·
I used to work in a shop that replaced about 100 engines every year.

After the initial "warm-up" we would shut them down and change the oil and filter.

It was surprising sometimes what was inside the filters.

Assembly lube, silicates from cleaning surfaces and tiny metal particles.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of oil filters on rebuilt engines plug up or restrict the oil flow before they're ever changed.

I believe changing the filter early is critical.

Mr Goodwrench is right. Break it in like you're going to ride it but then I'll bet you already have. ;)

The only engines that really need any initial break-in are ones with flat tappet cams.

#8 ·
The only engines that really need any initial break-in are ones with flat tappet cams.
I forgot to include that part and your correct. If I remember right, in those cases your supposed to use some type of zinc additive..? I'll also agree with changing the filter early the first time but that really has to do more with how sloppy the engine builder was.

Consider this: Brand new cars roll off the assembly line with the original oil and filter and nobody thinks twice about breaking those in.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. They pretty much summed up what i have been feeling about this.

Considering how high of an rpm these engines run, I would think the rings took a seat a long time ago. There was actually a noticeable change in the start up noises at about 6 hours. And now that I think about it, my builder said 10 hours-change oil, 10 more hours-change oil, then wait until 40 to put synthetic in. So I guess he's probably thinking most of the break in is done by 20 and he's playing it safe.

I have a world class engine builder not far from me that builds several L series engines from scratch out of solid aluminum billet. Once he completes an engine, he breaks it in for 3-6 hours on a dyno. He said every individual engine will have slightly different outputs in the sequence, but 99% are as good as they are ever going to be by 4 hours. Some of his engines are producing 800+ HP, so I figure my little 50 something HP engine is not to worry. (I inquired if he wanted to rebuild my engine and he quickly said, "I don't do the small ones".:crying:).

#17 ·
I rode it fairly easy for the first hour or two to check for oil & coolant leaks and make sure it sounded OK.

Then I just rode it like I do every day except on the factory oil I never "BEAT" it like I do on special and rare occasions. ;) :eek: :D :lol:

#18 ·
On another note. I don't think one that someone rebuilds is the same as a brand new engine from the factory.

If I rebuilt my own I might ride it a little longer to make sure all is OK.

If someone else rebuilt it for me I would certainly listen to how they wanted it broke in but I might do it a little different too.

#20 ·
Drive it like you own it. The rings break in the first hour. There is no such thing as break in oil.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
so even brand new machine fresh off the floor you don't have to take it easy ?

#22 ·
I have built 100's of engine mainly diesel engines. We always broke them in on a dyno. Start and run them to temperature. If it all checked out load them up for a hour. And done.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.