Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

new job

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  VTwinKawi 
#1 · (Edited)

I started my new job Saturday.
We have a brand new snowcat to groom the local snowmobile trails. :D

Its a German built Mercedes powered $190,000.00 Pisten Bully.

We unloaded on a cold and foggy night. :lol:

Virgin snow going past LeBaron Lake in the Tusher Mountains.

This was coming back past LeBaron Lake around 2:00 AM and there were new snowmobile tracks on top of ours. :eek:

This is the tiller that's on the rear of the snowcat.

The tiller leaves the final touch on the trails.

Sunday morning finished and heading back to the park.
58.6 miles and only 57 gallons of fuel. :lol:

The first trip out on a trail is always the longest because there's no packed
snow for the cat to ride on. They don't go through snow like snowmobiles,
they need a packed base or they sink.

This run took a total of 16.5 hrs from Otter Creek State Park, grooming and back to the park.

Fortunately for us its been a little on the warm side so the 5' of snow was heavy and settled.

See less See more
2 8
#5 ·
Not really. We groom at night because the snow needs to be frozen.

The average run is 12-13 hrs.

The cat pretty much keeps you on your toes - its pretty easy to have the plow dig in and bury you pretty quick.

It has a stereo and a police scanner foe entertainment.

We check in and out with dispatch so they can keep tabs on us and come looking if we don't check in when we're finished.

#6 ·
Wow, snowmobiling must be a big boon to the local economy, as Pisten Bullys don't come cheap!

#7 ·
all those groomers are ridicules price probably supported by the local dues and state. the club fees here are 100 bucks, if you pay them to the club or NY, one or the other not both. if they wernt so expensive maybe it wouldnt be so bad to ride. one of the biggest reasons i havent got another sled. they have one of those here and one that looks a big new holland tractor with tracks. havent got to run one but looks like fun

#9 ·
The only OHV fee we have here is your annual registration fees just like registering you vehicles.

I think it cost me somewhere around $60 to register my ATV last year. $16 of that goes into the OHV fund.

The Paiute Trail includes and encompasses about 3500 miles and its all free as long as you machine has a current registration.

#8 ·
Utah State Parks OHV Program has 17 snowcats total. This is their 2nd Pisten Bully, both new this year.

I groom 120 miles of snowmobile trails every week with this cat.

Every time you register any OHV here in Utah a portion of the registration fee it goes into this program.

This cat was $190,00.00 including a few extras.

We are waiting for our new "custom built" trailer to arrive any day.

This was the trailer we had for our last cat.

When I was doing this a few years ago I cut a corner a little too tight and hit a big rock with one of the wheels and bent the axle.

The axle alone was $8000 because it had to be custom made and it took close to 8 weeks to get it.

#10 ·
So I knew Monroe Mountain was groomed in winter, but I had no idea portions of the Tushars are too. Is this for snow mobile access or for those with cabins in that area around LeBaron (or both)? Where does the TH start at for the groomed section? I assume somewhere proximate to the Ski resort..

#11 ·
We start in Junction and head up 153 - take a left and go down to Kents Lake then back and down just past Puffer an back to Junction.

For Monroe Mtn we head out of Glendale, across 44 and down Monrovian Park. Then every few weeks we drop down into Koosharem as a courtesy run and back to 44 and down Monrovian Park.

#12 ·
its hard to believe they can do that with 16 bucks.
they have no state atv anything, alot of it could be dual use if they cared at all. but snowmobile i can ride from my backyard literally to most anywhere in NY, tug hill, Adirondacks, whatever. would be a long drive on a sled i would imagine though since its like 4-6 hours by car going 70

#13 ·
they still do that big atv event each year with Fishers atv ? Think thats the name

#19 ·
brian fisher, you brought him up not me. dont think i am crazy, has been early when i post but you said it in post 13

#20 ·
didnt know about a brian fisher :crying:

#21 ·
It is not called Fisher's Reunion anymore, because Brian fisher has pulled out of the event. They still have the event held there though under a different name.

#23 ·
Yea Im not shur I just knew a guy that lives in upstate new york and talked about that fishers atv and said they held a big event ever year up there Some poker run just figured id ask about it Heard about that tug hill to

#24 ·
they have the poker runs and "snirt" (snow/mud) events, but talking to people there are so many that go they close the little parts of normal trail so all you can go on is the stone roads. they have those every year. guess they get a couple hundred machines. should go to show how many are in ny and could use more places to ride, legally. i am sure no politicians pay attention to more than there pockets though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.