Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Around The Campfire

6K views 108 replies 13 participants last post by  Panhandlebrute 
#1 ·
This forum needs an "around the campfire" sticky thread so everyone has a place to talk about nothing, something, or anything they want that's ATV or non ATV related.

#7 ·
The general body of members are quite obviously the outdoorsy off road type. Do any of you dabble in firearms at all? I reside in Missouri and state lawmakers recently approved concealed carry without a permit. I was curious what some opinions were on the matter. I for one and all for it, just curious what others think.

#8 ·
I tend to dabble.. My safe could arm my block in a SHTF scenario. :laugh:

In my opinion, I believe it's a bad idea. Would rather live somewhere that there is a training requirement to carry a firearm. Whether it be safety courses, CCW Course, military or LEO background, etc. Even better seeing a combination of them too. If you were to find yourself in a scenario where there would be a need to eliminate a threat, who would you want on your side.... The guy that has ample training or Joe blow from down the block that picked up a High Point and only has one trip to the range to make sure it works (which it probably didn't btw). I for one would rather have someone near me that knows how to use the weapon... That is for certain.

#9 ·
How about music and food :grin2:

#12 ·

I've carried for years. I have a CWP and took the class.

I would like to see everyone take the class whether they own a gun or not. Tons of great info on being aware of your surroundings, staying safe and avoiding a possible bad situation.

I would be willing to bet that if you did some research that the state or cities that have the highest % of its population carrying (trained or untrained) probably have the lowest crime rates.

You need to take a class to drive a car s why not to carry a gun?

#13 ·
I've carried daily for 10 years or so now but my CCW recently expired. I doubt I'll renew it unless something in the law changes. I definitely encourage everyone intending to carry to get some type of training and practice diligently. I get out at least once a week with my carry piece just to keep in practice. I just wish firearms in general were more commonplace and regulations tend to be a deterrent of sorts for a lot of folks who would otherwise be responsibly participating. I figure the majority of the ones carrying that probably shouldn't be will get weeded out by natural selection.

What do those of you that carry daily carry? Mine is usually a G19 IWB. Its cheap and has been flawlessly reliable through 8k rounds so far. I seem to point shoot well with the odd grip angle of the Glocks so even though I don't particularly care for the aesthetics, it gets the job done. That and I don't really care if I ding it up :grin2:. I do occasionally open carry a Sig 1911 stainless when I'm feeling saucy.

#19 ·

I bought a camper for my truck last Nov.
Its going to greatly enhance my ATV adventures. :D

I'm already planning a trip to the San Francisco area and then up the coast to see my sister and spend some time with one of my daughters in Oregon. I'll have a few months off after the end of March.

This was a few days after I got it home.

#21 ·

Used campers for long bed trucks are the buyers market these days. Everyone has short bed trucks.

A good friend of mine owns(ed) an RV dealership and he told me that last year over 80% of all the slide-in campers they sold were for short bed trucks.

The lady who had this one for sale told me she had it listed 3 different times and I was the only person who ever came to look at it. She dropped the price right off the bat.

#23 ·
Nice pair there.

I remember the first dually I drove with a camper on it was back in 1978 while working at a Chevy dealership.

I was way impressed at how well it handled the camper.

I'm actually quite pleased with how well mine handles my camper.

No helper springs or anything else and the camper dry weighs 3800 lbs.

I'm also quite impressed with how well that 6.0L handles it too.

Here's my "vintage" truck and travel trailer I sold in 2010. :cry:

The '72 Ford F-250 only had 42k miles on it when I sold it.
The travel trailer was a 19' 1969 Excel.
I've kicked myself in the butt for letting them go at least a million times.

#24 ·
think you have more cabinets in that in my 24 pull behind. its laid out very well. plus the bathroom is super huge. the ones i have seen have the stupid pot combo shower in a closet that nobody could sit down in.

been thinking of upgrading lately, they have pretty good deals seems like this time of year, my mom and my brother bought new ones at the shows in january, like 50 percent of msrp. two things with that alot of people sell their old one themselves too. i would like to get one with more cabinets and a push out. dont have either and it weighs like 6500 dry the way the wife packs im sure its like 8 with coolers and clothes and i have always had half tons. my brothers and my moms are both over 30 ft and way under my weight. brother was hauling his with a 8 cyl dakota

#25 ·
VTwinKawi - I live in a 38 ft with one slide.

There was a Lance camper that I wanted pretty bad, kept inside its entire life.

The opening in the bed of my truck is only 60" and the older Lance campers are wider than that but they have huge bathrooms for a camper. Would have had to buy one several years newer and a lot more expensive.

I think I lucked out on this one. Its loaded from the electric jacks to the AC. Pretty clean for being 20 years old.

#29 ·
I used to "camp" but then my wife and I got a little rescue dog and needed some place for him to stay while we were out riding. That's when we bought that older TT.

My truck is a 2011 2500 HD. 125,000 miles and I've only replaced 3 light bulbs. I'm just hoping that I've been using good oil and filters. :grin2:

I bought that truck with the intention of buying a slide in camper.

#30 ·
thats nice I like that

#36 ·
And to think that Richard Branson offerd Zeppelin 1 billion dollars to do a tour but Robert Plant wont do it sucks for the younger generation like myself because ill never get to see that. I saw Jason Bonhams Led Zeppelin experiance before and it was the closest thing ill ever get to seeing zeppelin is jons son

#42 ·
What kind of lawn tracors you guys use? I need to upgrade this spring.

#43 ·
I have zero lawn.

Sad in some ways.

When I lived at Big Rock Candy Mountain Resort I was the grounds keeper.

I :wub: nice thick green freshly cut and manicured lawn.

I used to call it grass. The owner of Big Rock owns a huge cemetery named East Lawn.

He told me we had lawn not grass. :lol:

The last mower I owned was a Craftsman.

While at Big Rock they bought me a new Craftsman riding mower, my choice. It had the highest reviews of the riding mowers for what I was looking for and has a hydrostatic transmission. It was a great mower.

Craftsman 42 in. 17.5 hp Riding Lawn Tractor Mulching Capability (071-20373) - Riding Mowers - Ace Hardware

#44 ·
Cant say I enjoy cuttig grass, especially in July and August, yuck. I have a John Deere La115 that has been flawless. But after 9 years and moving to a bigger lot I need more. It has a 42 inch cut, looking for a 48 to 50 inch cut.

#46 ·
Have a 94 John Deere 425. If you want a commercial heavy duty garden tractor, look at the 425(carb), 445(EFI), 455(diesel) lineup. Older but an absolute workhorse. I have greater faith my tractor with 1300 hours on it will out last a brand new craftsman mower or cheaper big box John Deere.

#47 ·
Totally agree, but my big box generic Deere has been a gem.

#48 · (Edited)
I have a 5 series J.D. with a 54" deck and a 72" Husqvarna ZTR and the Huskey is a better unit as far as build quality.
It is an industrial model however and that makes a difference.
I would advise against the 1 series J.D. units unless you have a small and flat yard.
I would rather be out in Rubiranch's neighbor hood riding up Deer Creek Road instead of mowing the lawn though.
I love wheeling in Utah.:grin2:

#50 · (Edited)
I would rather be out in Rubiranch's neighbor hood riding up Deer Creek Road instead of mowing the lawn though.
I love wheeling in Utah.:grin2:
Me too :grin2:

The Sears riding mower I had was awesome.

If I were to look for a yard "tractor" I seriously doubt that I would shop at Sears. :wink2:

#49 · (Edited)
basicly have a few year old version of this, i have a huge lawn and to me the time saved is worth the money, the kohler twins are like the kawi atvs of tractors and the briggs engines are the popos. they just run forever with no breakdowns, and the craftman ones had the best value for the feature set. certainly would buy one again. i mow with just that in the spring because its wet but it takes me like 3 hours at 5.5mph. and i got a swisher 60 inch that i use the rhino with when its wet then i pull it with the tractor and that knocks it down to a little under 2 hrs. not including trails or weed eating.
Sears.com

#51 ·
First F150 and 23ft Mega-Lite toy hauler.

Second truck, F250 and 28ft Vortex toy hauler

Current setup F350 and 40ft Momentum toy hauler.

We rough it on the Oregon coast. [emoji12]

FST KFX900 with a touch of the laughing gas.
2007 Raptor 700SE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.