Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Front wheel wobble and play

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Kai 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here and just picked up a second Kawasaki for my wife to drive. It's an 02 Prairie 650 to go along with our 05 Brute Force 650 SRA. Both are older bikes but we have fun :)
The Prairie has some front end issues. Steering is difficult, and the front right wheel (from drivers perspective) has some camber and wobbling issues.
I took off both front wheels and both have some dents around the outside edge but my issue is more severe than that. I'll pick up a couple new rims in any case.

I've (EDIT....Tried to, but I need 5 posts first :S) attached a two videos that show areas of play, are both of these areas supposed to be tight without wobble?

I'll post links to the two videos once I have 5 posts :(
One area is where the front axles come together, and the other is at the front end of my driveshaft.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just post a couple of words in two more posts, then you can show the links.

#7 ·
I have an '05 Prairie 360 4x4, which I believe are identical in that area, and I don't get any play in either of those locations. I am going to guess that the front diff was run dry and some point and you have worn out the bearings. Bearings and seals will cost you around $100 in parts, but the bearings are pressed in, so it will require a bearing puller and either an installer or press.

#8 ·
i have an '05 prairie 360 4x4, which i believe are identical in that area, and i don't get any play in either of those locations. I am going to guess that the front diff was run dry and some point and you have worn out the bearings. Bearings and seals will cost you around $100 in parts, but the bearings are pressed in, so it will require a bearing puller and either an installer or press.
x2 ^^^

#10 ·
Yes, at minimum. If it were me, I would probably do things in this order:

1) tear it all completely apart and find out what parts I need to order and their prices. There may be more parts needed than seals and bearings.
2) call around to see how much it's going to cost to have the bearings and seals installed (and any other parts you discover)
3) weigh those total prices against a good working unit that can be had on ebay for $400-500.

#12 ·
It looks like you could get the parts to do both sides for under $100. That would be top/bottom ball joints and inner/outer tie rod ends. Just wrenches for the tie rods, but either a press or a big hammer (and the right sized socket) to remove/install the ball joints will be required. You might be able to pay a shop to just do the press work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.