Fixing a Hacked up Wiring Harness.. - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fixing a Hacked up Wiring Harness..

I picked up a local postedBayou 300 with a “dead battery”. The previous owner completely hacked up thewiring and may have done some serious damage.

After removing the body this iswhat I found.

The keyed ignition had been bypassed with a (melted) 5 amp toggle switch

The winch solenoid had been bypassed with solid coper wire. And the signal wires for the solenoid were bothpositive wires.. no mystery why that didn't work for him.

The glass fuse from the battery had been replaced with a piece of wire that then melted.

There was an extra coil pack added… by added I mean just dangling from the wire harness, and had fewer wireconnections compared to the factory one… that was still installed.

And worse of all. The battery + & - both ohm out withno resistance… Yay a dead short somewhere. At least the previous owner washonest, the battery was flat dead… I wonder why?

Most of the wiring I can chase and fix. But I have one big issue. The wires leading from the generator in side the case look fried. I can replace the connectors easy enough... but should I tare into the case and see if anything in there is cooked or is that not a common problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6454.JPG (109.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6453.JPG (104.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6452.JPG (141.2 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM

I would assume the worst, go slowly, and fix it all. You don't want to fry anything else along the way.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 03:47 PM

the pickups and stuff you should be able to test with a meter and a manual, but i would think all you have to do is find the short, which on a quad i would look for wires with missing insulation. pull the wires away from the frame, put a fuse in and see, wiggle stuff to see if it blows that sometimes will narrow it down

2016 570 outty max 27 mudlite xtr
2006 660 Rhino 27 mega mayhems

2003 650 Prairie mud lites(sold)
2008 700r Raptor se (sold)
2006 360 full skids winch (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2017, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

The only short I have found was at the 3 prong connector clips coming from the generator in the transmission case. All plugs have low resistance to the ones nearby indicating that they are touching or otherwise grounded somewhere.

I can replace those clips easy enough, and I will wire in a set of fuses for ignition and the auxiliary.

The other thing that I am concerned about is the warn winch. its a 3000lb winch running off a fairly small ATV battery..

Could the Amp Draw on the winch have overheated the generator and the wiring clip pictured?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6453.JPG (104.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by mixedbrass101; 06-15-2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: added pic
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2017, 01:43 AM

i believe the generator is a coil so you will so it will read a short, or low resistance. that seems like another symptom, the gen wire will melt when its passing too much trying to charge a dead battery

winches draw a ton you have to be super careful how and when you use them, really the only safe way is keep it seperate with a battery you charge from house power. if you plow or use it frequently. the systems on quads are no where near enough to worl under frequent use like people think, once in a while use it needs to be hooked directly to the battery plus and minus and the coil lead (small wire) for keyed ign doesnt draw enough matter

Last edited by VTwinKawi; 06-16-2017 at 01:49 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

This was certainly used for plowing previously. It has the some of the components of a plow frame on the bottom and a vertical grove in the winch fairlead from running up and down in one spot...

poor thing.

Ill be cutting off the old melted plug connectors and checking on the generator tonight.

A healthy coil will have no continuity between the 3 wires correct?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 AM

havent messed with atv coils that much but going by cars they have spec that has to match the resistance in the book. should be four a primary and a secondary like hundred or less and a few k ohms. i would guess the ground and spark lead would be your secondary, i think my quad only had one small wire so ground must be that one too

all this should be in the manual, have to make sure exactly because coil thats going wont read much different than a good one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode