Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Prairie 360 won't start after sitting 10 years

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  VTwinKawi 
#1 · (Edited)
2003 Prairie 360 won't start after sitting 10 years

New spark plug that sparks when out of its hole dangling I've seen in the dark when hitting the green starter button.
New 90 octane gas. I removed fuel tank, petcock and this new gas IS getting to the carb when petcock is turned to ON or RES as it should. Got rid of all old gas from tank to gas line to carb. The old gas was really bad looking.
New battery with good voltage.
New 10w-40 oil and filter filled to the brim that I also "prelubed" the cylinder days with some before gradually attempting cord pulls to turn the engine over.
Took apart carburetor somewhat then cleaned jets with hair wire and carb cleaner. The float moves up and down. I could have done more taking apart the carb. It was filled with old dirty gas when I opened.
Check Belt light always is blinking when I turn key to ON. I did the reset procedure swapping the gray and black connectors plus disconnecting the other 2wire one but the light does not go away.

#2 · (Edited)
Spark should be strong enough to be seen in daylight.

Oil and filter filled to brim. Not sure what you mean. Typically there is a dipstick and you fill oil till it is in the crosshatched area of dipstick without screwing in dipstick.

Was there crud in the jets? The main jet can usually be soaked in a good carb cleaner but the pilot jet if plugged should probably be replaced.

Did you open the float drain to see if fuel flow is taking place?

Do not let spray cleaner get on the diaphragm as it could ruin it.

There are many small passages in a carb which must be clear too.

Do you have adequate compression?

Air filter clean.

After trying to start, is plug wet from fuel?

#3 ·
pilot jet stuck

Right now the pilot jet is stuck in its hole because I think it broke off from the head. Is it supposed to be one piece when I unscrew it? I think it has broken off in its hole. See attachment.

Was there crud in the jets?
The main and starter jets I've soaked and cleaned with wire thoroughly. I havent been able to remove pilot jet.

Did you open the float drain to see if fuel flow is taking place?
I unscrewed that gold drain plug w/ hex head that's leading to drain hose no fuel exited hose. Although no fuel was in the carb when I opened this second time. The first time the carb was full of old gas but would not drain when I unscrewed that gold drain plug.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
the needle jet is the worst and always why it wont work. they have little hole in the sides that mus to be clear no need to buy one unless you need to drill it out to get the hole clear. oem kehin or kawi ONLY. spray all the jets and passages with air compressor

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
How do I remove this jet?

It doesn't just fall out when I shake or tap around the outside. See pic attachment but it's either the starter or pilot jet since its not the main jet. How do I dislodge from its hole? I think its the starter jet since the pilot jet came out as one piece and looked like the brass pilot jet on one of those linked pages. Yeah those are some good links thanks!

Attachments

#8 ·
probably has to be drilled and tapped, or get a different carb from a guy parting them out. sometimes you can get it out but if the the threads are goobered you are going to have to make new way to hold it in building it up like jb weld because new is going to just do the same thing

#9 ·
It starts now! The float valve was gunked and not even allowing fuel to enter carb bowl. It dies whenever the choke is completely released but I'm going to try screwing the idle air mixture inwards barely more. I took it and everything inside the hole out then installed all the way in and 1.5 turns out when I was cleaning so maybe I didnt do exactly that # of turns but thought I did exactly 1.5 turns. I can release the choke 75% and wont die. Anything more and the rpms go too low to keep it running. Thanks all for helping me get started!

What else should I do as far as maintenance before I put into gear and going mudding again? Change gearbox oils is what I was going to do next. What bearings or any mechanisms should be greased and what should I oil besides engine and gearboxes? This was driven hard through mud and underwater regularly back in its early years with very little maintenance. I'd like to know what lubrications could be done to whatever.

#10 ·
no grease really, but i would take the 4wd actuator off once in a while and grease the splines on the pinion when you are changing that, the oil doesnt get up there very well

#11 ·
Open the pilot screws to 2.5 turns.
Even though it starts now, I expect that the carbs are still dirty and need professional attention.

#12 ·
its a 360, book says one and a half , to start my father laws wasent that close for a cool low area. but it started, you warm it up and tune for max idle rpm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.