Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Can someone help me with a belt light reset on 2004 Prairie?

20K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  ChowDawg 
#1 ·
I need to get my facts straight for the knowledgebase. I heard a rumor that the belt light reset procedure is different on a 2004 Prairie, and that you have to disconnect the 2 pin belt trip switch connector after you turn the key on.

Anyone know anything about this?

I sure don't, since my 650 is a 2002 and doesn't need the light reset unless the switch is tripped.

Another thing, if the light is on at 100 hours, does it kill your power?

#3 ·
I'm not sure but I here it's the same as the 360, I did re-set my dad's 360 this way.....under the plastic where the shifter is, pull down the wireing harmess, there was a large gray, another large of a different color and a small black 2 pin, I turned the key on, to make sure the belt lght was flashing, turned the key off, waited until the ebc quit whining, unplugged the black 2-pin ONLY, turn the key back on, the light was flashing fast, counted to 10, turned the key back off, then reconnected the balck 2-pin and the light was re-set...don't know for sure if this is the same for my 700 though, but I heard it was.........

#4 ·
when my 100 hour light came on it flashed and reduced my speed 7mph and limited me to 2wd

#5 ·
Yes the resetting of the light has changed for 03 & 04 prairie's. The manual's were incorrect as they changed the igniter's during the 03 production run. The resetting prosedure is the same as in the manuals except you disconnect the 2 pin plug AFTER the ign switch is turned on. Other wise it doesn't reset the light.

#8 ·
The atv should run like normal when the light comes on no matter what model it is. It should only run retarded if the belt switch is triped. If it doesn't there may be something wrong with the igniter. The new resetting procedure works on the older igniters also. We only found out about the new reset procedure about 2 months ago. We found some wouldn't reset. So kawasaki NZ got onto the factory & they said the changed the igniters about april 2003. They then sent out an update to correct the manuals. They were a bit late in getting the update out.

#9 ·
maybe mine is one of the "special" ones, i took my belt cover off and the switch was not tripped. i have had no trouble with my CDI, still runs like a raped ape

#10 ·
Nightrider, I have heard a lot of people say what you described. I think the early 03 CDI did that and that is a incredibly stupid thing for an ATV to do.

Very, very stupid for an ATV to do that. That is so stupid that Kawasaki actually fixed it on the later CDI's and that must be what kiwi has experienced, that they don't loose power anymore.

#11 ·
nyroc--- I will ask the service mgr. at my favcorite dealership about this, and report back. I missed this post for a while.

#12 ·
http://atv.dnsalias.com/tipview.cgi?dir=Pr...20procedure.txt this is the belt light document I have. If you see anything wrong with it, please let me know.

My main concern is the difference between the early 2003 reset and the 2004 (late 2003) reset procedure, where Kiwi says you have to unplug the 2 prong connector for the trip switch after you turn the key on.

I wrote this up as best I could per what 650 owners have said. My 650 is an 02, so is my repair manual.

#15 ·
Nyroc, I recieved instructions from my dealer, switch the black & gray connectors turn on the key. After key is on disconnect the belt switch connector let flash for a minimum of 5 sec. Turn key off, then turn it back on again to reset the memory. Then turn it off and hook all the connectors back to gray-gray, black-black.

Good luck. This was a page faxed to me from the dealers manuel.

#16 ·
my 03 650 tripped at 105 hrs and i did lose power it was fine at low speed but broke up real bad when i tried to open it up .i did the reset proceedure from nyrocs site and it worked fine. but i did unhook the 2 pin belt switch BEFORE i turned the key on. only took a few minutes thanks to nyroc!

#17 ·
I just had to re-set my belt light, I have a late modle 03!

Un plug the gray & black connectors and switch them with each other. Turn the key on and unplug the belt switch connector (2 pin). Turn the key off, then turn it back on to clear the memory. Then turn it off again and connect every thing back up to its original place. Remember to let the key stay on for about 7 seconds!
This worked for me, I got the instructions from my dealer!

Good luck

#18 ·
Pain in the Arse!

You have no idea how frustrated this has made me. I re-set the belt sensor by disconnecting the plug years ago. It stopped flashing for a while and started up again. I figured I would live with it. I was out hunting in North TX, when my ATV started hesitating. It's idle was normal, but it would not accelerate. I was constantly getting stuck (yes in TX) and having to use my wench to get back. There was not enough power to get me out of a medium mud puddle let alone cruise faster than idle. I disconnected the belt sensor plug as previously and nothing. I cleaned the filter, carb & flushed out the tank, and it started working again. Again I went out hunting and it started acting up again. This time, I re-built the carb. Nothing! Finally I found the link below, and ten minutes later she runs like a champ. I am from Alaska, thank God, this did not happen in the Bush!!! Kawasaki needs to get a clue.
http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/ka...-reset-prairie-360-belt-light.html#post984754

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.