Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View NASCAR ATTIC's Photo Gallery(0)

Does anyone have the valve adjustment procedure and clearance settings for a 2002 650. I have got mine stripped down to the valve covers and now I can't find the Info. any where. Thanks
NASCAR ATTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #2

View mastrblastr's Photo Gallery(0)

Valve clearance - Exhaust - (0.0079-0.0098)
Intake - (0.0039-0.0059)

OK, here goes. Pull off your pull starter housing. Remove the small black timing cover plug right by the pull starter housing. This is where you will find your timing marks. Put a ratchet on the center nut on the end of the crank exposed when you took your pull starter housing off. Turn it counterclockwise until the timing mark TF appears. Line up the mark on the top leg of the T. IMPORTANT! Wiggle the front cylinder rocker arms to see if they are a little loose. If they aren't, turn the crank 1 full turn, line up your timing marks again, and check to see if your rockers are loose. If they are, set your front cylinder valves, both exhaust and intake. After you have the fronts set, turn the crank counterclockwise 2 turns and line up the TR timing mark. Check to see that your rear cylinder rockers are loose and then set your valves. Put your valve covers back on. NOTE Before you put everything back together, fire it up to see if it is running right!!! If it is, put everything back together and rip it up!!
VDI CDI, Supertrapp Exhaust System, Airbox mods, Unifilter, 145/148 jets, Greasable A-arm bolts, Welded waterproof swingarm, Greasable swingarm bolts, 1-1/4" lift, Custom aluminum storage box, Custom gas can holders, Custom SS skid plate---the list goes on and on.
mastrblastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #3

View woodman's Photo Gallery(0)

I have the specs. Send me a personal message with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

image url
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:05 AM   #4

View 1stQuad's Photo Gallery(0)

This is what I saved from NYROC's site

Prairie 650 - Valve adjustment

Difficulty rating 7.5 out of 10 (the feeler gage was a bit hard to get in the tight spots).

-You need a feeler gage, flathead screwdriver, and a box end metric wrench (10mm). Check when engine is at room temperature.

-Remove front plastic (includes top rack), middle plastic (includes battery), front inner covers, valve adjust caps, recoil starter. You might be able to do it without removing the front fender if you take a tire off.

-Remove timing inpection plug. It may be too tight, try a vise grip on the outside edge of it.

-Turn crank using a wrench on the alternator rotor bolt counterclockwise until the TF mark shows up (the top part of the T lines up with a notch in the hole). Note that if the cylinder is at the end of the compression stroke all four valves will be closed (you can feel clearance in the rocker). If the engine is at the end of the exhaust stroke, some of the valves will be partway open (the exhaust I think), and you need to turn it counterclockwise one full revolution until it is at the end of the compression stroke (back to same mark).

-Check and if needed adjust all four valves on front cylinder to:

Intake 0.10-0.15mm (.0039"-.0059") cold

Exhaust 0.20-0.25mm (.0079"-.0098") cold

-To adjust a valve, loosen locknut, turn center screw left for looser, right for tigher. Proper clearance is achieved when feeler gage can slide between valve and adjusting screw with slight resistance (not loose, not tight).

-Turn the crank until the TR lines up in the timing hole and check/adjust the valves in rear cylinder (make sure all valves are closed, or you need to turn it around again. It is 270 degrees CCW from TF).

Dicksatv.com.Toll Free 1-877-764-8313.Great Prices And Even Better Service!
Photos http://community.webshots.com/user/mark7117
1stQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 AM   #5

View NASCAR ATTIC's Photo Gallery(0)

Thanks guys for the Quick Response, I appreciate all the help. I didn't get it done Yesterday, but maybe today. I had posted this on two other boards earlier and still on response, this board is the best.
NASCAR ATTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #6

View surveyor's Photo Gallery(0)

for what it's worth...
when I did mine, I left the pull start on, and then pulled the timing plug, I lined up the timing marks by pulling on the starter rope.
it helps to have some cheap feeler guages that you can bend.
for me, it worked out better to loosen up the adjustment, so I could be sure I got the feeler guage under the top of the valve stem, then tighten the adjustment to specs.. otherwise it is very easy to think that you have the feeler gauge in the right spot, (I thought I had it the first time, & had to dissamble it to get it right, as the valves were rattling..) but it really is in the top of the spring retainer..

as far as removing all the plastic off the front, lights, ignition switch, etc.. that's unnecessary, to get to the rear the center section of plastic needs removed, to get to the front, it can be done by removing the inner plastic on the left side of the wheel wells... this will save a lot of time..

hope this helps..
surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Jim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Jim's Photo Gallery(0)

I did what the surveyor did, and it worked good, especially the bend in the feeler gauge. jh......
TRUE SFI Material Kevlar 2 pounds of protection of saftey blanket for the high horsepower engines That exceed O.E.M. Rpms and HP.
Custom diameters on needle rollers available From stock dia .630 up to .750 for (last chance units.)

I AM THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL ORIGINAL INNOVATER OF THE NEEDLE MOD SPIDER AND NEEDLE WEIGHT AND TRUE SFI RATED BALLISTIC PROTECTION FOR THIS PARTICULAR TYPE CVT.
We are In the classifieds in Dirt Wheels Magazine.
All major credit cards accepted.. vast inventory, and reasonal turnaround time. On shelf units with core exchange for super speedy service if needed.
C.A.Z. hardened stands micropolished for anti bind with impregnated buttons for less streaking and wear.
Trail or full race, Specific build for your HP output and wants.
We DO make you faster.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

View jimmy66's Photo Gallery(0)

hello i would really appreciate it if you could send me those pictures. i need to see the timing marks i am working on it right now.....first one ever done. my e-mail address is dgravley@centurylink.net THANK YOU !!!!!
jimmy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmy66 View Post
hello i would really appreciate it if you could send me those pictures. i need to see the timing marks i am working on it right now.....first one ever done. my e-mail address is dgravley@centurylink.net THANK YOU !!!!!
This thread is 7 years old.
There are tons of threads regarding valve adjustments.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2003 kawasaki fvf650 4x4 valve adjust procedure

2003 kawasaki prairie 650 valve adjustment

how to set valves on 02 650 prarie
kawasaki 2002 prary 650 seting timing

kawasaki 650 prairie 2002 value ajust

kvf 650 belt adjustment

kvf 650 valve clearance

prairie 650 valve adjustment

timing marks for kawasaki 650 atv for valve adjustment

valve adjustment 650 kawasaki prairie

what is the float height for a kawasaki kvf 650

what size feeler gsuge for 2002 prarie 650

where do you set timing marks on 2002 kawasaki prairie to adjust valve clearance
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.