Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Bruteboy299's Photo Gallery(1)

Looking for advice on shocks. While riding across frozen lake hitting drifts I had my back end rebounding a lot higher than the front and trying to pass me. Set up the rear pre-load stiffer by one notch which helped the problem but made the ride even stiffer. Not a very comfortable ride. Front is at second softest setting. The rear is now at third softest setting. 5.5 lbs. pressure in all 4 Holeshot ATR's. Anybody know how to get a decent ride and still handle or do I need aftermarket shocks? Anybody tried the Elka recreational series they build for the Brute and Grizzly? Thanks
Bruteboy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #2

View mike hunt's Photo Gallery(0)

They put elka shocks on a Brute in dirt wheel a few months ago and said it was a big improvement
Old 03-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #3

Mike, Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I saw that article too. Wish I could afford those same shocks, but my wife knows where I keep my guns. The Elka recreational shocks are around $1200 and were specifically made to remedy problems inherent in the Brute. Still spendy though. I think That after all the bad reviews Kawaski got on their suspension we should lobby them to do a recall and buy us all two stage shocks. Just dreaming. What is your suspension set at?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #4

View x2468's Photo Gallery(0)

I thought they put works suspension on the brute in dirt wheels, not elka. i think....

Works are much cheaper, but still not cheap.
x2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #5

X2468, Yep your right. They were Works shocks. About $1900 dollars worth. Way more than I can justify to the wife.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Works said that Kawi used the same valving on the front and rear shocks, but the shock mounting points and the resulting angles front to rear were very different, thus creating very different forces on the shocks. If that's true and the valving is the same, Kawi really missed the boat. I did check the part numbers for the front and rear shocks and they are different, but that doesn't mean that the valving isn't the same.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #7

View x2468's Photo Gallery(0)

I still think the ultimate would be some float shox all around. lol sorry for sounding like a broaken record, ive said it a few times. especially thos enew float shox......... *drool*
x2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #8

View Spud's Photo Gallery(0)

The shocks are the same front and rear.

What we've got here is alot of motor and no boingers.

I'm considering trading this thing off for the simple reason of no handling.

Here's another one for you. Took out an a arm and a tierod in the same wreck. While repairing the a arm with new I had to use a pickle fork to get the a arm off of the lower ball joint. Punctured the ball joint boot of course and found out that you can't get just a ball joint. 175.00 for the whole spindle!!!!!!

This japanese light weight engineering is okay if you have big dollars.

My polaris's might have been heavier but I can tell you for certain now that they are a hell of alot tougher and a whole bunch easier to work on.

This is pretty funny actually, alll my buds are riding the po's, we've always theorized that these japanese bikes would'nt hold up out here in our rocks and with our riding styles, I just had too be the one to fall for the v twin and get the theory proved.

How about this for an answer for the brute? Buy some old 85' or so atc 250r rear shocks and freshen them up. Slap 'em on this pig and see if that fixes the problem.

Done ranting!!
Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #9

View grizzkiller's Photo Gallery(0)

thank you h34r:

My pics
grizzkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #10
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Premium Member

View bfb650b2's Photo Gallery(0)

You can go with the "Steelers' Works shocks, they are about $750 for all 4 shocks + Shipping.
I've read a couple reports on these Steelers on the BF750 & so far these two have really liked the upgrade & for the $$$, they may do you just fine.
I just was about to order 4 of them when my "Computer" in my car crashed & that took care of the $800 I had set aside for the Works Shocks.
~WARN Front Bumper #88697~Ramsey 2500 Lb Winch~RICOCHET Belly/Floorboard Skid Plates~Teryx LED HeadLights~D2 OverFenders~Kimpex Rear Trunk~Shorai Battery~TrailTech Voyager GPS.
Not finished yet
bfb650b2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
aftermarket shocks for brute force 750
aftermarket shocks for kawasaki brute force
atv shocks for kawasaki brute force
brute force 750 aftermarket shocks
brute force 750 rear shocks

brute force 750 shocks

brute force shocks

how to adjust brute force 750 shocks
kawasaki brute force 750 shock
kawasaki brute force 750 shocks
shocks for an 07 brute force
shocks for brute force 750
shocks for kawasaki brute force
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.