Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Rear Differential Repairs

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  WVHillbilly 
#1 ·
My 300 kawi (2001) has 9500kms. Last year I had to replace the rear end bearing and seals ($300). Three months later I had to replace the pinion gear along with new bearings and seals ($800). Now the rear end is shot again. The dealer replaced the pinion gear and bearings ($625). After rebuilding the rear end they realized the ring gear was bent. Now I need to buy a new ring gear ($500). The dealer feels bad and is trying to keep the costs down. If I had known this repair would be over $1100 I likely would have sold the bike for parts. If I don't finish fixing it I've wasted $625. When should I give up on the rear end. I feel I'm just throwing good money after bad. It is too bad since the bike is working fine aside from the rear end. I wish I could find a junked bike for parts.

Pibster
2001 Kawi

#2 ·
I would be p-ssed off at the dealer! You have put that much money into the rear end and only now do they realize that the ring gear is bent? Isn't this something they should have noticed/ checked when they initially had the rear end apart?

Dealer aside.... Have you checked e-bay for a second hand rear diff? Maybe an atv salvage yard. I know that several advertise in the back of Dirt Wheels.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I agree with A-MAN... I have seen several on E-Bay in the past, & if you bought a complete replacement, it likely won't have your kind of mileage on it, & you'll have yours as spare parts...

#4 ·
500.00 for a ring gear!!!!! thats insane

#6 ·
I have found in my years of turning wrenches, when one diff bearing goes bad, replace them all along with the seals. Metal particles along with whatever made the first bearing go bad, is in there floating around, wearing everthing else.

When I used to offroad 4X4 trucks, water was my worst enemy. Water is bad. My best advice to keep you newly rebuilt diff together is to keep it out of the water or at least keep the fluids changed. Whenever you see a seal leaking, change the seal or at least check the fluids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.