Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Pibster's Photo Gallery(0)

My 300 kawi (2001) has 9500kms. Last year I had to replace the rear end bearing and seals ($300). Three months later I had to replace the pinion gear along with new bearings and seals ($800). Now the rear end is shot again. The dealer replaced the pinion gear and bearings ($625). After rebuilding the rear end they realized the ring gear was bent. Now I need to buy a new ring gear ($500). The dealer feels bad and is trying to keep the costs down. If I had known this repair would be over $1100 I likely would have sold the bike for parts. If I don't finish fixing it I've wasted $625. When should I give up on the rear end. I feel I'm just throwing good money after bad. It is too bad since the bike is working fine aside from the rear end. I wish I could find a junked bike for parts.

Pibster
2001 Kawi
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #2

View Adirondack Man's Photo Gallery(0)

I would be p-ssed off at the dealer! You have put that much money into the rear end and only now do they realize that the ring gear is bent? Isn't this something they should have noticed/ checked when they initially had the rear end apart?

Dealer aside.... Have you checked e-bay for a second hand rear diff? Maybe an atv salvage yard. I know that several advertise in the back of Dirt Wheels.

Good luck!
'03 Prairie 650 = BKP 730 kit with 2x cams, Dynatek CDI, Twin Air Power flow system, EHS Racing airbox lid, DG Snorkle, Muzzy full exhaust system, VFJ Stage 3 and lightened secondary, MW oil cooler, Works struts, Rox Risers and Pro Taper bars, 25" Goodyear MT/R radials on Douglas Rattlesnake rims
'05 Sportsman 400 = stock
'09 Sportsman 850XP = HMF eco slip on, Duro tires, clutch kit, Polaris Lock n' Ride boxes front and rear
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Premium Member

Premium Member

View Mike Walker's Photo Gallery(0)

I agree with A-MAN... I have seen several on E-Bay in the past, & if you bought a complete replacement, it likely won't have your kind of mileage on it, & you'll have yours as spare parts...
2005 Mud Nationals SRA Champion, 3 - 1st place finishes & 1 - 2nd place finish in the stock & modified ATV pulls, 1 - 3rd place finish in the open class Mudda Cross race, 1 - 3rd Place finish in the open class mud bog, at the 2006 Mud Nat's</span>[/b]
Mike Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #4

View flht3's Photo Gallery(0)

500.00 for a ring gear!!!!! thats insane
ims rad,roll design pegs,heal guards,carbon pro pipe,barts box,ktm tie rods,elkas w/res,itp,razr2,vampires,,k&n,decal driven graphics,pro taper,acerbis,custom seat,pro aluminium,vens guards,prm,ac,tech spec.......
flht3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #5

View Pibster's Photo Gallery(0)

Those are canadian funds. I don't think my dealer had the entire rear end apart. He only noticed the ring gear when he was checking the backlash. I'll try ebay.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Premium Member

Premium Member

View WVHillbilly's Photo Gallery(0)

I have found in my years of turning wrenches, when one diff bearing goes bad, replace them all along with the seals. Metal particles along with whatever made the first bearing go bad, is in there floating around, wearing everthing else.

When I used to offroad 4X4 trucks, water was my worst enemy. Water is bad. My best advice to keep you newly rebuilt diff together is to keep it out of the water or at least keep the fluids changed. Whenever you see a seal leaking, change the seal or at least check the fluids.

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2001 kawasaki prairie 400 rear differential oil
2001kawasaki300rearaxle
2002 kawasaki prairie 300 front wheels spin rear dont
2002 kawasaki prairie 300 rear differential oil
how to dissamble the differential on a kawasaki 300 prairie 4x4

how to fix my kawasaki bayu differential

kawasaki 300 rear diff bearinng kit
kawasaki prairie 300 4x4 ring and pinion gears

kawasaki prairie 300 rearendseal

kawasaki prairie 400 rear differential#gsc.tab
rear end 2001 kawasaki bayou

rear end oil for 2001 kawasaki 300 prairie

rearend differential for a 2000 kawaski 300 4x4 4 wheeler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.