Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Finally changed the Left Rear Axle seals

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mikeyboy_esq 
#1 ·
Its a common problem I know, so when my left rear axle started leaking pretty badly in June at an ATV Rodeo, I decided to order the seals and fix it myself this summer (last time this happened to me, I had the dealer do it under warranty).

Anyway, I followed KOD's website instructions and it was just as easy as it appears. Well, except that KOD's P650 does not have the rear hitch, so there were a few extra bolts for me remove.

By far, the hardest part for me was REMOVING THE WHEEL NUT on the Rear Hub!!! I don't have an impact wrench, so I had to use the old Cheater Bar...BROKE 2 RATCHET EXTENTIONS before I get the nut to brake loose! Its supposed to be torqued to 195 ft pounds, so its on there pretty good. Just thought I'd post this in case someone else is thinking about replacing their left rear axle seals soon.

Happy trails...:)

#2 ·
yep, i have to do both sides of mine soon, im hoping to just get by till after the 20th them my bike will be tore down for repairs for the winter. im going to tackle it then,
question for you mikey, i read the manual says to drain the oil out of the rearend before removing the hitch. can it actually leak out the bolt holes or is it just for when you crack the seal on the side case.

#3 ·
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure b/c I drained the rear oil before I removed the bolts to the hitch. Why do you ask anyway? If I had to guess, I'd say it only leaks when you crack open the seal on the side case where the seals are located. You are not planning to replace the seals without changing the oil are you? I don't think thats possible.

#4 ·
i was considering using the bolt holes to make an attachment for my atv pulls to raise my hitch height some and using longer bolts and some plating in the existing bolt holes. i didnt want to take a chance of having an oil leak around those holes if i did try this, that why i was wondering if it leaked out on you when you took them out. ill try it and see when i replace mine.

#5 ·
I hear ya mikeyboy, i spent two days prying on that stupid thing. The impact that i have wouldn't even budge it. I wound up using a breaker bar and my trusty 15lb sledge hammer :D

#6 ·
[/b][/quote]

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I guess its nice to know that I wasn't the only one to have a hard time breaking loose that wheel nut. I ended up sticking a piece of 1" x 2" board between the studs on the rear hub and lodged against the floor of my garage...that board kept the rear axle from turning while I applied all of my weight to the breaker bar/cheater pipe.

TIP: For anyone using an extension and breaker bar to loosen this nut, be sure to use at least 1/2" diameter extension or else you WILL break the extension! I broke not one, but two of those little 3/8" diameter extentions before I figured out that I needed to go buy myself the 1/2" diameter extension (which attaches to my 1/2" diameter breaker bar).

#8 ·
[/b][/quote]

Good point, but they weren't craftsman...they were from an old ratchet set with the brand name Popular Mechanics (like the magazine).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.