Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View lukewarm's Photo Gallery(0)

The last couple times I attempt to start my 06 BF750 the battery is too drained to start it. After charging, the wheeler starts and puts out 13-14 volts at idle and higher RPM. I placed an amp meter between the battery and cable and it registers about 12 amps with the key off. There are no aftermarket items attached. Any idea on what items to start disconnecting to track this down? Does all power go through the main soenoid or does the controller pull power even if the solenoid is working properly?

lukewarm is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Premium Member
Premium Member

View speedy81304_KVF700's Photo Gallery(0)

best thing to do is check your. volt/reg. if it has a short to ground that would be it. it would back feed. and at idle thats high. it should be about 12vs and peak out at 14v at 4k rpm. if your peaking out at idle then i would say check your volt/reg.

I'll look in my factory manual for the testing on the volt/reg. also ill thing of some other problems that it might be. i'll pm you soon as i can.
Amsoil 0w-40 engine oil / Frnt Diff
Amsoil 5w-30 rear diff (hydraulic/transmission oil)
Water Wetter mixed 25% coolant 75% water
Twin air ProFlow filter, Dyno Jet needles
Muzzy Full System,
Denso Iridium plugs #IU22. "Freebie" Moose Module & 6deg key installed
EPI Primary and secondary springs. VFJ stage 3 spider mod, machined secondary.
Full set EPI black springs with custom front preload spacers.
SOON VFJ crossover INTAKES AND VFJ dyno tuning
speedy81304_KVF700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #3

View Prairie Under Pressure's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
The last couple times I attempt to start my 06 BF750 the battery is too drained to start it. After charging, the wheeler starts and puts out 13-14 volts at idle and higher RPM. I placed an amp meter between the battery and cable and it registers about 12 amps with the key off. There are no aftermarket items attached. Any idea on what items to start disconnecting to track this down? Does all power go through the main soenoid or does the controller pull power even if the solenoid is working properly?
[/b]

May have a bad battery, I did and I just replaced it. Warrenty doesnt cover it unless you are still under the 6 month factory one.

2007 Cadilliac Escalade ESV 403 hp 6 speed trans
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram 4x4 Quad cab
1996 Dodge Cummins turbo Diesel 280HP 680TQ
2004 Prairie 700
2001 Polaris 500 HO
2003 Honda 250EX
2004 Kawasaki Bayou 250
2000 EZ-GO Golf Cart lifted/off Road
2001 Kawaski KX125
2001 Kawasko KX100
2002 KAwasaki KLX125
2004 Carter Talon 150cc GO Cart
2006 50cc R1 Super mini bike
Prairie Under Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:33 AM   #4

View dkane3829's Photo Gallery(0)

Is the weather colder and are you not using it a lot? If it's not being used a lot in colder weather, I leave mine plugged to a battery tender. This is the worst time of year for batteries.

Keep us posted

Quote:
[/b]
dkane3829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #5

Thanks guys.

Speedy, that makes sense. I thought the voltage was pretty high for idle. If you have the test procedure for the regulator, that would be great. What is the best source for a replacement if I need one? Any alternates to buying from the stealer?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #6

It is not the voltage regulator. I unplugged it and everything under the seat, one component at a time. It is now registering a 4-5 amp draw. The only thing that changes it is pulling the 30 amp fuse or disconnecting the two wire plug that branches off the positive battery cable just prior to the solenoid connection. Both wires are white with a red stripe.
Does anyone have a schematic that show what components are all fed from this connection?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:45 AM   #7

View Mikey V's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
It is not the voltage regulator. I unplugged it and everything under the seat, one component at a time. It is now registering a 4-5 amp draw. The only thing that changes it is pulling the 30 amp fuse or disconnecting the two wire plug that branches off the positive battery cable just prior to the solenoid connection. Both wires are white with a red stripe.
Does anyone have a schematic that show what components are all fed from this connection?
[/b]
Check the usual corroded splice in the rear harness, back by the fuel tank filler neck. The last BF750 I saw do this, one regulator wire was corroded in that white plastic splice, taped to the side of the rear (main) harness. The BF750's do ALL kinds of weird things, when the spliced wires corrode. They can start with key "off", inop cooling fan, no start in 4WD mode, the list goes on. You'll need to remove the rear fender(plastic), to access the area, and get to the splice to repair it. It will become obvious why they corrode, when you see where this splice is located---on top of the fuel tank, where the splice sits in the mud thrown on to the top of the tank!
05 CRF450X- woods missile --for sale

"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen 1970
Mikey V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #8

I thought the 06 models did not have that problem any more.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #9

View Mikey V's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
I thought the 06 models did not have that problem any more.
[/b]
I don't know if Kaw. actually listened to their dealer techs, or not. Maybe they were upgraded, dunno.
05 CRF450X- woods missile --for sale

"Everytime I start thinking the world is all bad, I see some people on motorcycles, it makes me take another look" Steve McQueen 1970
Mikey V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM   #10

View Bigmike750BF's Photo Gallery(0)

My 06" STILL has the rear buss connecter!
Bigmike750BF is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2005 electra glide draining the battery
4 wheeler battery has a drain
atv key on kills battery

best way to drain a fourwheeler battery

electra glide battery drain

four wheeler battwry draining

four wheeler keeps draining battery with key off

kawasaki 250 draining batteries

kawasaki bayou battery drain

kawasaki prairie battery drain

key off battery discharge of atv

what drains a four wheeler battery

why does kawasaki jet ski drain battery
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.