Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

belt reset light

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  golferbrady 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if It's possible to reset the belt switch before it actually comes on. Went to dealer to have belt checked and the switch reset. He said it is'nt possible until the light actually comes on. I'm heading to mexico next month and don't want the thing going off and me stuck at reduced power. I figured if the belt was ok or even changed that you could reset it? it has a 1000 miles now and about 40hrs or so on it. Am I stuck with it as it is until it goes off? thanks

#2 ·
I'm just wondering if It's possible to reset the belt switch before it actually comes on. Went to dealer to have belt checked and the switch reset. He said it is'nt possible until the light actually comes on. I'm heading to mexico next month and don't want the thing going off and me stuck at reduced power. I figured if the belt was ok or even changed that you could reset it? it has a 1000 miles now and about 40hrs or so on it. Am I stuck with it as it is until it goes off? thanks
[/b]
copy this and take it with you>>>>>>>>>>>they are both differant so follow them to a tee!!!!!! and have fun in Mexico :angry: :angry: :D
Early 2003 650 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

4. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

5. Turn the ignition switch ON.

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late 2003 and 2004 700 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

#6 ·
My wife's belt light came on but she never had reduced power. That was at 100 hours.

#7 ·
my brother has a 07 brute the light came on no limp mode(light was steady no blinking) took off cvt cover switch was not flipped
flipped switch and light started blinking and was on limp mode reset it and it was fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.