Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Fuel Pump

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wehde 
#1 ·
I had a xc race this weekend, and everytime I got hard on the gas or going up a long hill my prairie 700 would start acting like it was running out of gas.

I unhooked fuel line where the petcock is and when I turn on the key the pump only pumps for about 1 second. Does it just mean the pump is bad or is there anything else to check.

Seemed to work ok for a while and then didn't seem to work at all the next time in the same area. I am guessing it was pumping just enough when I wasn't hard on the gas. After leading the race with one lap to go, she finally died and wouldn't restart.

Does anybody have a cheap fuel pump they don't need?

Thanks,

#3 ·
if im not mistaken that is all it should pump out when you turn on the key.... now if the bike is running that is a different story... i wouldnt jump the gun and buy another fuel pump.... id look into it being something else causing it...

i know when i had to replace fuel pumps on cars before i would always turn on the key and it would shoot out for just a few seconds and then stop...

#4 ·
IT only pumps it for 1-2 seconds and stops. if there is no crank signal to the CDI then it will not run the pump.

Remove the pump, and take off the regulator that sits on the top of it and just put a line 1 inch longer on there. eliminate that problem of the reg diaghpram sticking and bleeding off fuel back to the tank

you can also add a 35.00 external pump. cheap and easy

John

#5 ·
Thanks for the replys, Maybe the pump is working fine. Might check for dirt or debree in carb main jets. Do you think the float bowls could have something to due with it. It wouldn't due it everytime is the strange thing. Mainly in main jet area and really seemed to due it going up long hills, which I realize would be in same area. In the end I couldn't even get it to start. I let it sit for a while and it started and ran fine for about 30 seconds, then wouldn't start again. Started fine when I got home and ran it at an idle. Nothing wrong with air intake either.

Is there an easy way to check the fuel pump. If it pumps for a second everytime I turn the key on, It would appear it is working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#9 ·
View attachment 15868
Found problem with fuel. Somehow the filter on the bottom of fuel pump had come off. Found a little bit of crap in the bottom of the tank and also in the bottom of fuel pump. Explains why it quit shorty after being refueled in the race. It must of stirred it enough and the pump sucked a piece of something. I attached a picture not sure if it will work or not. Not sure where the pieces of like a plastic material came from. I don't think they are something that broke to pieces from somewhere on the pump.

Thanks for the help,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.