Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View Clay85's Photo Gallery(0)
Cool

Quote: Originally Posted by NovaKaw650 View Post
We're missing some important details: why are you taking it to the shop in the first place? Does the light come on? Is it making a noise in the belt/clutch area? Does it break so you can't drive it at all?
I don't think the shop is ripping you off; they wouldn't have replaced the belt the first two times.

Do you have a different shop you can take it to? $250 is a lot of money to replace a belt; the labor should be between 30 min. and 1 hour, and the belt around $100?

The BF guys know more about this than I do, but I think the BF650/750I have a problem with water splashing into the belt houing; if water repeatedly gets in and the belt begins to slip and you keep driving while it's slipping, the belt will be damaged.

Everytime I have taken itto the shop, the belt light has come on, I hear a clanking sound in the drive belt chamber, and the 4-wheeler goes into safety mode and won't go over 8 mph. It hasn't broken down completly to be un-drivable.

I also went back and looked at my invoices, the first time I took it in they said no problems really found, the drive belt switch was in the "ON" position but that the contact pin was bent. They replaced the pin and sent me on my way.

The second time I took it to the shop, the belt was replaced and that they adjusted the deflection sensor (or something like that).

This time around they are saying that the belt was stretched.

This is my first 4-wheeler that I have owned so I don't know much about working on it myself, thats why I have been taking into kawasaki, plus its still under warranty, but they insist on charging me this time around. I think once it gets out I am not taking it to this shop again.
Clay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

The belts don't stretch much, they wear narrow which makes them loose due to the design of the clutches. You remove shims from the secondary clutch to "tighten" the belt.
I wonder if the dealer checked the belt deflection; maybe it was way too loose from the factory. Did your wheeler ever show signs of a loose belt? The most common sign is a loud "squawk" or "squealing" noise from the clutch area when pulling away from a stop.
The only other thing I can think of that would make the belt hit the belt sensor would be one of the clutches not downshifting when you let off the gas and slow down.
What were you doing when the belt sensor went off?
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Premium Member

View vtprairie03's Photo Gallery(0)

how were you riding it when it went into limp mode??? and how many miles is on the bike???

dont be intimidated by the bike or working on it... how else are you going to learn if you dont dive into it... it will save yourself a ton of money and you never know you might enjoy it... the clutch work is simple and a 12 year old can do it if you show him once.... its that simple... all you have to do is take your cover bolts out and inspect the belt yourself... see if there is any gouges or marks in the primary clutch(right one)... that would tear the belt or make it wear funny... best money you will spend is buying a manual or getting one off someone on here in pdf format and printing it off... it will give you step by step how to work on these bikes....
BILLET SHIFTER
FLEXX BARS
ROX RISERS
ACEWELL TACH
DYNA CDI
ELKA SUSPENSION
INTERCOOLER SYSTEM

2007 kfx 90
120cc powroll bbk
cam'd
two brothers full exhaust
ac racing nerfs
rath racing front and rear bumper
jb racing +2 a arms

previous motors..

fst 765-stage 3 cams-full porting-lte duals
amr 800-ported big valve heads-x3 cams- lte duals..
vtprairie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #14

View Clay85's Photo Gallery(0)

I was in mud when the belt started screwing up, but it wasn't over the foot rest, and anytime the belt has messed up it has been in mud but nothing extreme. I have seen BF's completly submerged and they come out fine. The bike has close to 400 miles on it. When it went limp was when I went over 20 mph once I got out of the mud. Would a heavier duty belt be worth getting? Kawi shop said that one would be usless.
Clay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Clay85 View Post
I was in mud when the belt started screwing up, but it wasn't over the foot rest, and anytime the belt has messed up it has been in mud but nothing extreme. I have seen BF's completly submerged and they come out fine. The bike has close to 400 miles on it. When it went limp was when I went over 20 mph once I got out of the mud. Would a heavier duty belt be worth getting? Kawi shop said that one would be usless.
There is no heavier duty belt than the factory belt.
The belt sounds like it is too loose, that's not a problem with the belt; it's a problem with the adjustment that's done at the secondary clutch.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #16

View brute41885's Photo Gallery(0)

I am having the same problem with my 08 brute 650 my first belt broke at 300 miles the day after mudding and it broke right in half my second belt i was in the mud and heard it start slapping the casing i havent changed it yet because i am trying to figure out why it is breaking right now it is slapping the casing and the belt light is not even on i have stock tires the only mod i have is a full hmf pipe and a k&n filter and its jetted somebody told me just to buy a clutch kit but i dont know while in the mud i am not slipping the belt or burning the belt i am going to bring it to a shop and have the deflection checked because i dont know anything about this
brute41885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #17

View don-don's Photo Gallery(0)

I have an 04 KVF 700, it was under 1,000 km ( about 600 miles ) and the belt light came on, I took it to a non-dealer repair shop, he put a new belt on, said the old one didnt really look that bad. The belt light came on agian, ( with in 15 min) so I took it to a Kawi dealer, $80. to re-set. So now I carry that old belt as a spare, and it was in good shape others have since told me. I think I have the info now to reset it myself. $250. to reset? 2 belts gone, Id try another dealler.
don-don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #18

View mtnmn's Photo Gallery(0)

I feel like I may get shot here - but I agree with the dealer. Keep it in low under 40 km/hr (25 mph) then high after that.

I went through belts about as fast as you (1 belt per 50-100km) until I started to ride in low unless I was going fast. Now I've got 1900km on my belt with no sign of significant wear.

Kawi belts are definitely the toughest.

And yes - sometimes the belt will explode... One of my blowouts took out the belt cover - and it even ripped the "ear" off of the engine block where the belt cover bolt threads in.

Use a kawi belt, keep it in low under 40km/hr / 25 mph and you'll be fine.
mtnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #19

View don-don's Photo Gallery(0)

Regarding low under 25 mph, Im always in high, except if I tow, or i am putting a real load on the drive, deep mud, or plowing. Ive never really lacked for power, I just thought thats what its for. Now you have me wondering, should I be in low more often?
don-don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #20

View mtnmn's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by don-don View Post
Regarding low under 25 mph, Im always in high, except if I tow, or i am putting a real load on the drive, deep mud, or plowing. Ive never really lacked for power, I just thought thats what its for. Now you have me wondering, should I be in low more often?
Most of my riding is trail with intermittent mud, hills, deep snow, etc. I ride in low (now I do at least) unless I'm burning down the trail (or road) for prolonged periods at high (greater than 25mph) rates of speed.

I blew a LOT of belts (probably 5 or 6 in 1500 km) prior to figuring this out... Give it a try - I think you'll find your belts lasting longer.
mtnmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
2002 550 kawasaki mule belt how to change belt
2009 yamaha 550 grizzley loud growling noise in clutch area
how to adjust belt on kawaski 550 mule
how to change drive belt on kawasaki mule

how to tighten the belt on a kawasaki mule 610

how u adjust clutch on 610 mule

i replaced the drive belt on my kawasaki mule but it still making a weird noise down there

kawasaki 610 mule drive belt replacement
kawasaki mule 610 clutch adjustment
kawasaki mule 610 complaints
kawasaki mule drive belt problems
what causes kawasaki mule drive belt yo break.
what happens when you put belt on wrong on kawasaki mule
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.