Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

View NovaKaw650's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Tip for getting Water out of the Engine after a Drowning

Here's a tip that may be helpful, although I've never had to try it:
After tearing several of these engines apart, I was amazed at how many nooks, cranies, and hollows there are in the engine castings. I've drained engines completely of oil, pulled the cylinders off and flipped the engine upside-down and ended up with another 1/2 quart of oil on the floor, including the oil that was laying on the top of the heads. I can only guess that these same hollows would hold water (being heavier than oil) even worse than oil.

If my Prairie drowned, I would drain all the oil out, remove the oil filter, hook my engine hoist to the rear rack and stand it on end, hook to the front rack and stand it up on end again, and then see how much more water and oil dumps out. My guess is that it would be substantial. I would then refill and and run it for a couple minutes and then do the procedure again. It should greatly reduce the amount of times that you will need to change the oil, and reduce the chances of circulating water through the engine.
Please post it up if anyone tries this; I'd like to know how you make out.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

2011 Stratos 186XT Bass Boat
Mercury Optimax 115hp
Minn Kota 70lb 24v trolling motor
Lowrance Electronics
NovaKaw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Premium Member

View asnowmobiler's Photo Gallery(20)

I hear that Sea-Foam works very well at getting the moisture out of then engine.

Team Green 04 V-Prairie, Ported AMR 730,XX cams,Digatron gauges,VFJ custom clutch with EBC bearing removed,V-force gears,AMR ported intakes,programmable Dyna,30 shot of Boon,Brute Force Flywheel,stock carbs,stock exhaust,Flexx bars,Rox Risers,ODI grips,Tusk Dozer plow,ECT.
AMR 330 347 6800
2013 BMW K1600GT
asnowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Supporting Vendor
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Premium Member

View BigKev's Photo Gallery(0)

seafoam works good, and if you are in a spot, clean kerosene will work pretty good too.

www.facebook.com/bigkevsperformance
Twitter: @Big_Kevs
BigKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #4

My point is that if the water is in all these hollow spots, and is heavier than kerosene, then the water is going to stay stuck in these spots. Even Seafoam at it's best can only bind with water; it will still be heavier than oil and tend to stay trapped in all the hollows.
That's why you hear about people changing the oil 8-10 times and still finding water. Or worse, they change the oil 2-3 times and it looks clear, they go for a hard ride, hit lots of bumps and off-cambers, and end up with a load of water in the oil again. Good-by crank and rod bearings.
A good example is when you change the oil and filter; it takes 2 quarts of oil to refill. When I refilled the first engine I ever completely tore down (and drained every last drop of oil out of it) it took between 2.5 and 3 quarts to get it halfway up to the "full" mark. That's a lot of capacity for water to hide in. For the little effort it would take, I would try it my way to see what would happen.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

Mercury Optimax 115hp
Lowrance Electronics
Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View canadien4x4's Photo Gallery(0)

I agree with what you say... this is a good idea
canadien4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #6

The best view of how the water would be trapped is to look at how much oil lays on top of the heads when you take off the rocker covers to change cams. Now if you drown the engine and water fills those same cavities on top of the heads, the water is trapped there. Even after you change the oil and start the engine, because the water is heavier, the oil will flow right across the top of the water leaving most of the water still stuck there. If you can tip the machine up on end, the water will dump out of these spots and make it's way to the bottom of the crankcase, where it can flow out through the drain hole.
Mild porting
Crossover intakes
Modded airbox
Full Muzzy
Dalton weights
VFJ Springs
Other weird stuff

Mercury Optimax 115hp
Lowrance Electronics
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Premium Member

View vtprairie03's Photo Gallery(0)

we had a prairie that my buddy drowned in a flash flood that we took it and stood it on its end and had the pipes off of it... we drained all the oil out of it and all the fluids and took the rocker covers off both heads and filled the entire bike completely full of kerosene and let it sit for 2 days..... after that we drained it and filled it back up and it fired up.... he never had a problem with it after that... and this bike was upside down floating away from us for 30 minutes... he had to swim out and get it in flood water...
the worst part of the whole thing was the amount of mud and water that was caked inside the exhaust canister.... it never came clean....

but after having a bottom end apart and i can see where you are saying everything can hide.... it would be hard with anything you used to get to all of it... id say if you flood it and think you have it cleaned out that your still just riding on borrowed time.
BILLET SHIFTER
FLEXX BARS
ROX RISERS
ACEWELL TACH
DYNA CDI
ELKA SUSPENSION
INTERCOOLER SYSTEM

2007 kfx 90
120cc powroll bbk
cam'd
two brothers full exhaust
ac racing nerfs
rath racing front and rear bumper
jb racing +2 a arms

previous motors..

fst 765-stage 3 cams-full porting-lte duals
amr 800-ported big valve heads-x3 cams- lte duals..
vtprairie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #8

View hamill08's Photo Gallery(0)

I just went through this after my son flooded my prairie 360 4x4 in a creek. the only cure is for you to put in the time to clean it out. I had mine torn down, dried and reassembled in a week of after work. It requires multiple oil changes and then run diesel fuel through the system and change the oil twice after that. I also stood it on both ends to get the water out of the nooks and crannies before tear down and there was still a lot in there when I tore down.
hamill08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #9

View coupedehille's Photo Gallery(0)

Yes, yes, this is a very good tip. The last time I had water in the oil I only had to run 1 qt of oil through the motor to get the water/milkshake out because I stood it on end back and forth and ran it like NovaKaw650 explained. (I did leave it draining overnight too though.) The best thing to do of course (if possible) is to not even turn the motor over if you suspect it has water in it. That will at least prevent having to remove the cooler.

I have discovered an excellent modification to eliminate water in the oil altogether. You simply extend the crank case breather hose inside the air box and make at least one full vertical loop so it will create an air bubble that the water cannot pass by, unless of course you leave it submerged for an extended period. I have tested this little handy dandy mod several times on 2 Foremans, a Prairie, and a Big Bear and it works! The last time I swamped my bike I had it full throttle and the snorkel went under, had to pull the spark plug to get it to even turn over. You couldn't pump more water into the motor with a garden hose! And guess what? No water whatsoever in the oil! I was about 6 miles from camp and fresh oil too.

I just posted pics of how I did this mod on my girl's new Big Bear while I was running the snorkel. It's standard procedure to do both at the same time now.

Hope this helps someone and saves you some time and $$$!

Last edited by coupedehille; 07-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.
coupedehille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #10

View utu1525's Photo Gallery(2)

Quote: Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
seafoam works good, and if you are in a spot, clean kerosene will work pretty good too.

Deisel fuel/kerosene does work mixed with cheap oil ......
utu1525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
atv water in engine
atv water logged now burns oil

best way to get water out of a motorcycle engine

drowned 08 brute in river wat do i do
dumped my brute force in water now it not running right
getting water out of engine
how to get water out of a atv
how to get water out of a crankcase
how to get water out of an atv engine

how to get water out of atv engine

how to get water out of motorcycle engine

water in motorcycle engine

what to do after drowning your 4 wheeler out
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.