Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Fix for EFI brute fuel pump strainers

24K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chucked 
#1 ·
I had a problem with my fuel pump recently. There's 2 ways to test it; one is to pressure test it, which requires a fuel T hose which I don't have, and is probably expensive. The other way is to do a flow test. Simply put the fuel line into a container, then turn the key on. The fuel pump turns on for 3 seconds and should pump 1.7 oz of fuel. Well to get a more consistant reading, and for easy measurements sake, I did it 10 times in a row, so I should get 17 ounces. After doing the test, I got about 5 ounces (should be 17). So I knew I had a problem in the fuel pump. After verifying voltage to the pump was close to battery voltage (This is to rule out an electrical problem), I removed it. It can be disassembled into several sections. It seems to me that the sections could be replaced independently, but its only sold complete for $500. When the bottom section is taken off, there is a fuel strainer there. Mine was horribly caked with all sorts of garbage. Attempting to clean it only destroyed it. So I went to Autozone, and after several tried I finally found a strainer that works damn good. For a 1985 Mitsubishi Galant with the 4 cylinder. Fits onto the fuel pump stem perfect but, it requires a little bit of finesse to get it back into the reservoir on the bottom of the pump. Sorry my pics suck, it was with my camera and I was too burnt out to get my good one. but you get the idea.

The top one is of the galant fuel strainer vs. the oem kawi one.

This is the fuel strainer installed.

I hope you like my crappy write up.

See less See more
#2 ·
I should also add, the electrical connection for the pump motor on top of the pump was extremely corroded. I thought that was my problem at first, but was OK. I did clean it and reconnected using dielectric grease.

#4 ·
nice post, glad you solved it, and found a solution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.