Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View AverageJoe's Photo Gallery(0)
Default 06 650 Brute Carb Problems

Hey everyone. I'm brand new, so bear with me. I have an 06 650 Brute. I used to ride in WV quite a bit but had some kids and let it sit up. I am now trying to get back riding again. When I went to start it, the carbs were so gummed up that the throttle wouldn't move. Long story, short... I tore down the carbs, cleaned them, rebuilt them, dumped the fuel tank, adjusted the valve clearances, changed the plugs and put everything back together.

Here's the result:

1. It has gotten very hard to start when cold. It has always been cold-natured, but now after the engine cranks it still needs help from the starter for a couple of seconds. Also, I have to give it gas while running full choke for the first couple of minutes.

2. It sputters at low RPM. From idle to about 10-12mph.

3. At cruising (above 10-12mph) and high speed, it purrs like a kitten.

4. After it warms up... No choke to start. It fires right up.

I keep thinking, it's a pilot jet problem. That's the one jet I couldn't take out. My repair manual references pilot screws and jets, but the pilot jets on mine are press-fit in and don't look like those in the manual. There are no wrench flats or screwdriver slots to remove the jet. Anyone else have these type of carbs?

Will shimming the needles, like I've seen in other posts, solve my problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #2

View brutemike's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Hey everyone. I'm brand new, so bear with me. I have an 06 650 Brute. I used to ride in WV quite a bit but had some kids and let it sit up. I am now trying to get back riding again. When I went to start it, the carbs were so gummed up that the throttle wouldn't move. Long story, short... I tore down the carbs, cleaned them, rebuilt them, dumped the fuel tank, adjusted the valve clearances, changed the plugs and put everything back together.

Here's the result:

1. It has gotten very hard to start when cold. It has always been cold-natured, but now after the engine cranks it still needs help from the starter for a couple of seconds. Also, I have to give it gas while running full choke for the first couple of minutes.

2. It sputters at low RPM. From idle to about 10-12mph.

3. At cruising (above 10-12mph) and high speed, it purrs like a kitten.

4. After it warms up... No choke to start. It fires right up.

I keep thinking, it's a pilot jet problem. That's the one jet I couldn't take out. My repair manual references pilot screws and jets, but the pilot jets on mine are press-fit in and don't look like those in the manual. There are no wrench flats or screwdriver slots to remove the jet. Anyone else have these type of carbs?

Will shimming the needles, like I've seen in other posts, solve my problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
i jetted my 650i and in the process the i had to drill the cover off the pilot adjustment screw its simple that is what is going on with mine to it does the same thing when its cold out and we have had alot of snow here i just leave it like that warm weather is around the corner and it wont hert it a bit and ive been plowing alot of snow. hope i could help.
brutemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the post, BruteMike. You drilled the top of the press-in brass fitting to get to the the pilot jet to back it out? Do remember what size bit? Is this common knowledge? How did it get assembled that way?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

View brutemike's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Thanks for the post, BruteMike. You drilled the top of the press-in brass fitting to get to the the pilot jet to back it out? Do remember what size bit? Is this common knowledge? How did it get assembled that way?
i cant remember what size just use a bit half the size of the insert and just drill thru the insert DONT PUSH HARD YOU WILL HIT THE SCREW you only have to go thru the insert and pop it out with a screwdriver or what ever works for you. i learned from doing every thing my self and talking to people on whats what. i preaty hard on my machine so ive fixed alot of stuff.i had a polaris before it just broke way to much and parts were alot more then kawie ones.hope i could help if u have any other ? just ask
brutemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

View blue brute's Photo Gallery(2)

i think i used a 5/32 and just go slow and the plug should pop rite out, it stuck to the drill bit when i did it
08 brute 650i HMF slip/jet kit,Moose mod,K&N,Outerwears pre filter,EPI marron primary and almond second,27" ITP mud light XTR, temp gauge, 4000lb Viper Max winch, Loud Vision head light eye brows, Highlifter pen lock,1.5" wheel spacers, Kujo control arm bushings
blue brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

Thanks, blue brute. I don't have time to work on it during the week. I am going to tear the carbs down again this weekend. Hopefully, pulling and cleaning the pilots will resolve my issues. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #7

Default Solved

Well, I finally got the problem licked. Last weekend I installed new pilot screws... same problems. Yesterday, I synced the carbs and I was still having lean problems. So, one last time I broke down the carbs. I pulled all the jets, floats, needles, etc. I broke out my original carb parts and compared them to the new ones. I found that the holes in the pilot jets were different. The original had visibly larger holes. So I cleaned and installed the original carb parts and put the bike back together. I fired it up and took it out. No more low rpm lean condition. Runs like a champ. Moral of the story: BEWARE MOOSE JET KITS! Now I can get ready for my WV trip next weekend. Thanks for the posts blue brute and brutemike.

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page
07 brute force 650 carb problems
2006 650 brute carb problems
2006 kawasaki brute 650i adjusting carbs

brute force 650 carb problem

brute force 650i carburation problems
brute force carb issue
brute force carb problems
carb rebuild kit kawasaki brute force 650
how to remove carburetor from 2006 kawasaki bruteforce 650i
kawasaki 650 brute force carburetor

kawasaki brute force 650 carb problems

kawasaki brute force carb problems
kawasaki brute force carb rebuild
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.