Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View bdl1801's Photo Gallery(0)
Default 87 KLF300 Timing issue

I just bored out my 87 Bayou 300 .020 over and installed a new oversized piston and had the valves vacuum checked. With everything back together and after setting timing and cleaning carb I am having a problem with it trying to start. When the engine turns over it will pop as if it is trying to fire off but will not run. I have about 125lb compression I have fire and I sprayed fuel in carb with these it should at least try to run. The only thing I can think of is a timing issue. I have lined the cam sprocket up with klf300 and set accordingly to the to the T mark on the alternator rotor. I have taken it off and double checked it twice I have even set it one camchain link forward and then aft of the correct Top setting at the camsprocket. I have set the valves to spec. When I turn the engine over by hand the valves open and close like they should at the right interval and the piston is at top dead center when aligned with the T mark and cam sprocket are in there right positions. Can I use a timing light when I try to start the engine and check for correct timing? I read something about a timing advance not sure how that works. Is there a sure way to check exactly when the engine fires?
bdl1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

View foot0069's Photo Gallery(1)

What condition were the guides in. If worn they can throw the timing, should have no ridges or grooves. How about the tensioner? Did you set that up right? Harbour Freight sells a spark checker for cheap that takes the place of the plug, has a light that flashes with ignition. Be careful with cranking it with the wire off you can toast the igniter that way. Wish I was more help. You might want to post here to. Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Jim
foot0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

View foot0069's Photo Gallery(1)

Just read a similar question posted today. Reminded the poster that the motor had to be on the compresion stroke. Was yours?
Jim
foot0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #4

View bdl1801's Photo Gallery(0)

I just ohm tested the ignition unit and found it did not meet spec. I figured with a bad ignition unit I would not have spark at all but I have spark. What exactly does this Ignition unit do?
bdl1801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Search tags for this page

1987 bayou 300a timing

300 bayou cam timing marks
300 kawasaki klf timing marks

bayou 300 timing

how timing kawasaki 300 bayou
how to set the timing on a kawasaki bayou 300
how to set timing on a 1989 kawasaki bayou 300
how to time a kawasaki 300 bayou

how to time a kawasaki bayou 300

kawasaki bayou 300 timing marks

kawasaki bayou klf300 timing

kawasaki klf 300 timing diagram

setting timing on klf300
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.