Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Rear axle seals

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  w_pinkerton 
#1 ·
im going to replace the axle seals on the p650. the left side should fine. but the right side, do i have to replace the entire ring gear cover? can i replace the seals in it without removing the bearing? i've heard that if i have to replace the bearing i might as well get a new cover, which would have the new seals in it. what do you think?

#2 ·
you have to remove the bearing, I found the best way is to heat the area around the bearing a little with a propane torch, most of the time it will then fall out.

To install the bearing, I throw the bearing in the freezer the night before

the seals are cheap compared to a new cover

#3 ·
yeah i have all the seals all ready, i think i saw that cover assembly was like $75. i'd rather do it this way and save some money. thanks for the advice!

#5 ·
how did you get it out without heat? i dont want to try a punch, afraid of damaging the bearing.

#6 ·
I just gently tapped around it with a round punch and it came out. I would have used heat but I had no heat source at the time. It came out much easier then I was expecting. If you have a propane torch or a heat gun I would use it just to be safe

#7 ·
sounds good. thanks for the help you guys :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.