Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou Kawasaki's strong and reliable utility ATVs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View PGbrute's Photo Gallery(0)
Unhappy 05 brute 750 - sudden loss of power then oil in air filter box

Hello everyone I just bought a used 2005 brute 750. I did a service on it (changed all fluids, new plugs, cleaned carbs, air filter and box). I took it out for its first ride. Went out for about an hour and everything worked well (lots of power) and seemed fine. The next day I went out again. About a half hour into the ride and was driving on a flat road at about 50 km/h when I suddenly lost power and heard a rattling from the engine. When the quad came to a stop I tried to start it again and fired right back up. When I went to take off again, I had a very noticeable drop in power, to the point I could barely get it over 45 km/h. I stopped and looked inside the air filter box. Still dry and clean.

So knowing that something wasn't right I turned around and headed home. By the time i got home I had oil running down the outside of the airbox and side panels. I opened the airbox and there was a significant amount of oil inside.

It is a stock brute. I have some mechanical background and owned dirt bikes all my life but this is my first quad and I am not too familiar with ATV's.

PGBrute
PGbrute is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Hunterworks's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by PGbrute View Post
Hello everyone I just bought a used 2005 brute 750. I did a service on it (changed all fluids, new plugs, cleaned carbs, air filter and box). I took it out for its first ride. Went out for about an hour and everything worked well (lots of power) and seemed fine. The next day I went out again. About a half hour into the ride and was driving on a flat road at about 50 km/h when I suddenly lost power and heard a rattling from the engine. When the quad came to a stop I tried to start it again and fired right back up. When I went to take off again, I had a very noticeable drop in power, to the point I could barely get it over 45 km/h. I stopped and looked inside the air filter box. Still dry and clean.

So knowing that something wasn't right I turned around and headed home. By the time i got home I had oil running down the outside of the airbox and side panels. I opened the airbox and there was a significant amount of oil inside.

It is a stock brute. I have some mechanical background and owned dirt bikes all my life but this is my first quad and I am not too familiar with ATV's.

PGBrute
Very common for the Brute to push oil into the airbox
Hunterworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View monsterbrute750's Photo Gallery(0)

It is common for the brute to push oil in the airbox.But combined with the power loss you are experiencing there could be a problem.That happened to me on my '05.Followed by loss of power and what sounded like an exhaust leak on the header.Turned out the top end blew.
Full Muzzy System
Highlifter Radiator
MIMB Snorkels
Team Monster Energy Kawasaki Graphics
Backrest
Custom Beer Cooler
Custom stephen189 ass kicker Bore
monsterbrute750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

Default Dealer comments

I spoke with the dealer and he felt I could have got something in one of the carb causing it to flood. Which would explain the loss of power ( like it having the choke stuck open). and I seem to have used a large amount of fuel to get home as well. But I don't understand how that would cause the increased crankcase pressure to increase and push oil to the air box?

PGbrute
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View rdm531's Photo Gallery(0)

sounds like compression problem to me, how many hrs on this bike, how long did it sit if any before you got it, has it ever been sunk? i would do a compression test, just my thoughts
06 650i,sleeved to 85mm, fst 11.5-1 pistons, fst stage 2 cams,hd value springs,dyna fs ing,full hmf exhaust, hl springs & lift,29.5skinny laws, 1.5in spacers front/2.5 spacers rear, 3000hd warn winch, 2in center snorkels,rad relocated/brush guard&wind screen,aux driving lights,back up light/brush guard,front mounted recever hitch,custom 4 gauge cluster, oil temp, oil press, water temp, an return oil temp,rmax manual 4wd,oil cooler,b/w boston(mud)terrior goes everwhere 4 wheeler gos. ez steer
rdm531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #6

Default Update

I did a compression test. Got a zero reading on the front cylinder and there was evidence of damage to the spark plug. ..... Not good. I am currently in the process of removing the head. I will let you know what I find.

PG Brute
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #7

Default mystery solved

Well after getting the heads off, it turned out to be a broken exhaust valve. Not sure how the heck that can happen. But oh well. I am going to replace the top end while I have it apart.

PG Brute
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #8

View Smokey's Photo Gallery(0)

Likely your valves tightened up and broke. Make sure you recheck your vavle clearance all the way around when you're done.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Brute Force/Prairie/Bayou

Tags
2005, 750, brute, loss of power, oil in airfilter

Search tags for this page

2005 kawasaki brute force 750 oil on air filter

750 brute force car lost power while driving
air filter box for brute force
atv loss of power since new air filter

brute force 2005 oil in my air filter

brute force 750 air filter

brute force air filter taking in water
brute force cause of oil in airbox
if my fourwheeler is low on oil will it lose power

kawasaki oil in air filter

my 2005 ninja kawasaki suddinly lost power
oil in airbox but good compression brute force
polaris 750 oil in air filter
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.