Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

prairie 650 head torque

17K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ukdougman7 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how much torque is required on the heads. It is a 2002 prairie 650. I had to replace two cracked heads. Thanks

#2 ·
i believe its 36 ft/lbs... in increments.. i would always do 18 on each one then bump up to the 36... dont hold me to that but im pretty sure.. :D

#3 ·
VT is correct. The service manual calls for 18 ft lbs on the first pass and then 36 ft lbs on the final pass.

As a side note, I replaced my stock head bolts recently and torqued them down to 45 ft lbs (per Mickey's advice) and they seem to be working just fine like that. There's probably no need for you to go above 36 ft lbs unless you've had headgasket issues (like I used to).

Happy trails...:)

#5 ·
Just curious; dod you know why the heads cracked? That's not a common occurence.

#6 ·
The guy I bought the quad from thought it would be a good idea to cool the quad off in the river once it was hot. He had ran a stick through the radiator so it was running hot. Once he hit the water I imagine that did the trick. It ran fine for a month or so after but went downhill quick after that. Also, he didn't get the radiator fixed so that amplified the problem.

#7 ·
prairie 650

Finally got the quad together last night. After getting the wrong rings and waiting another two weeks it is done. Runs like a scalded dog! Smokes a little but I think it is just getting all of the junk out of the exhaust the previous owner had dumped into it. Thanks to everyone for all of your help on my rebuild!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.