Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki KFX450/KFX400

Kawasaki KFX450/KFX400 Dedicated to those mid-size, high-tech racers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View ricochetracing's Photo Gallery(0)
Default KFX 400 or 450 for trail riding

well, I have both the kfx 400 and the kfx 450 for trail riding I love the 400 well it started life as a 400 its now a stroked 502 and it smokes my 450, and my 450 has some major mods and the stroker still beats it up.

As far as trail riding the 400 rocks, the 450 will beat you up pretty bad after a day in the trails, I am talk en about Gorman, Johnson valley, etc, the 400 has better ground clearance and soaks up the bumps better, the 450 with the seat like sitting on a rock, you don't sit on that bike or you will be sore. For jumping the 450 is more stable and reacts better, for track running the 450 is much better and has a lower center of gravity, keeps you planted on the ground. For overall trail riding I would rec amend the 400.
ricochetracing is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #12

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)

Mine is honing in to be a good in the trails.

It was already great for the higher speed sections.
Where it got on my nerves was the lower speed sections.

The KFX 450R and the KTM 450XC have the most strength right off idle into the low RPM's of all the 450's. The KTM 450XC is better stock, and then the stock KFX 450R.

But there again, that really is not saying much. Neither are like my geared down 400EX. They want to roll out too fast and stall out too easy. You end up trying to do a lot of the controlling speed with the clutch and trying to avoid stalls by harmonizing that and your thumb.

I think part of the problem is lack of grunt off the bottom, and the other problem is trans gearing on the 450's. The low gears are a little tall.

Since I sent mine to the shop to get checked out (bad connection) and did my exhaust system, I've seen huge improvement. Much better.

I have a couple of other sprockets on hand for the slow trails. I picked up a 13t front and a 39t rear in case that is too much or not enough.

I will see when I try them, but I think they will make things about perfect. I believe with settling down the ground speed a little it will settle out. I'm hoping to stay out of 1st a lot more. The down side is that it will be slow on top speed if I hit a long open place (not often on those rides).
#450R____________
'08 Monster Energy KFX450R (black)
Jardine RT99 Exhaust
Holeshot GNCC's
55 watt H3 AfterGLO headlights
ProArmor Tether & Install Kit
ProArmor PowerGRIP System
ProArmor Dominator Bumper
ProArmor full skid protection

'99 Sport 400
Maxxis Razr's
Oil Injection Block-Off

'00 Duncan Racing TRX400EX
Full Yoshimura Exhaust
Holeshot XC front / HD rears on ITP T-9 Bajas
PRM Desert Bumper & full skid protection
Pro Armor FAT Pegs & Nerf Bars
Pro Taper bars & Cycra Probends
Air Shrouds
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Premium Member

View RAWDAWG700's Photo Gallery(9)

They ride a little low for my taste

put some bigger tires and change sprockets they do pretty good in the trails
RAWDAWG700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 40 reviews

Premium Member

View PIPO's Photo Gallery(0)

They do good, but you'll need to change the hard rock seat and if you're 67" or taller you should get a +2 stem.

86 LT 50
PIPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #15

View Double G's Photo Gallery(0)

I have always ridden the KFX400 and made it into a great trailbike with just a few bucks spent on jets and opening up the exhaust. I dropped the counter a tooth and it was ready for the tight trails, back to a 14tooth and it flew on the fire roads. Now I regret selling it but I ended up with a KFX450R. The seat is a rock that I am redoing this week, New rims and tires, full skids, open airbox and a Trintiy slip-on pipe really made the low end to much. Went up on the counter one tooth and the power is good. I turned the clamps on the bars forward for better control and took the clicks to 3 off bottom on front and back. The best mod will be adding a inch of foam to the seat. The power is there quick!!
Double G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #16

View Duster's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Double G View Post
I have always ridden the KFX400 and made it into a great trailbike with just a few bucks spent on jets and opening up the exhaust. I dropped the counter a tooth and it was ready for the tight trails, back to a 14tooth and it flew on the fire roads. Now I regret selling it but I ended up with a KFX450R. The seat is a rock that I am redoing this week, New rims and tires, full skids, open airbox and a Trintiy slip-on pipe really made the low end to much. Went up on the counter one tooth and the power is good. I turned the clamps on the bars forward for better control and took the clicks to 3 off bottom on front and back. The best mod will be adding a inch of foam to the seat. The power is there quick!!
I returned to riding after a good 10 years off (back problems). So to start with, I picked up a 400EX, and 400 Polaris 2 stroke. I had assumed I would be super super rusty. But I found I was bored with the 400EX real fast, and mods to it didn't resolve that.

So I picked up a new KFX 450R.

As stated before I really like it, but it seems to roll a little fast in the low gears, once you have sufficient RPM to avoid stalling. I spend more time in 1st and 2nd than I want to in the real tight stuff.

So I am a little puzzled about your statement that the low end is just too much.
It "is" very on like a light switch right now as you thumb it.
Maybe that is what you mean?

That I can see, and if it were a little lazier it would spin less and be less tiring.

I guess I really need to try a 15t front like EVERYBODY is doing to see what it is all about for myself. All I can picture in the technical areas is more clutching though. Seems like it will want to roll out even faster ground speed to keep the RPM up, and be more frustrating to take off with when I have to stop on a hill.

How much do you weigh and which clickers did you set?
Just curious.
#450R____________
'08 Monster Energy KFX450R (black)
Jardine RT99 Exhaust
Holeshot GNCC's
55 watt H3 AfterGLO headlights
ProArmor Tether & Install Kit
ProArmor PowerGRIP System
ProArmor Dominator Bumper
ProArmor full skid protection

'99 Sport 400
Maxxis Razr's
Oil Injection Block-Off

'00 Duncan Racing TRX400EX
Full Yoshimura Exhaust
Holeshot XC front / HD rears on ITP T-9 Bajas
PRM Desert Bumper & full skid protection
Pro Armor FAT Pegs & Nerf Bars
Pro Taper bars & Cycra Probends
Air Shrouds
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki KFX450/KFX400

Search tags for this page
2008 kawasaki kfx450r set up for trails
2008 kfx 450 for trail ride
are kfx 450r good quads
best gearing set up for trail kfx 450
can you trail ride a kfx 450r
is the 2008 kfx450r a good atv
is the kfx 450 a good quad

is the kfx 450r a good trail quad

kawasaki kfx 450r trail riding
kfx 450 for trails
kfx 450 for trails?

kfx 450r trail riding

what r good mods for trail riding a2012kx459f
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.