Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Stalls at Idle and then wont start

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  King of Beers 
#1 ·
I have a stock 2004 V. It runs really well and has since I got it a month ago.

Here is my problem.

Time before last I rode it; it ran great, started easy and idled properly. After I finished my ride I was backing it into my shed and it cut off and backfired. I tried starting it but it wouldn’t. It would turn over strong just no fire. I floored the throttle and turned it over again thinking maybe it flooded its self somehow. Nothing. I figured it was flooded... or something and just put it away.

Next time I rode it; it started easy, idled great and ran strong... for a while... about 30-45 mins. I drove through some water ect. ect. It was running great like it always does.

I pulled up to a puddle and stopped to see how deep it was. It idled for about 5 seconds before it cut off. No backfire this time. It would not start back up. I figured maybe I got some water somewhere it shouldn't have (though it had been 5min since I rode through any water).

I waited 5-10min while intermittently trying to start it and nothing. It would just turn over and over. Battery was strong just no fire.

I don’t know what made me do this. I guess I was just tired of waiting and frustrated. Well I started bouncing the 4 wheeler up and down while I hit the starter.

It started.

I revved it up and drove it around some more. It drove great as per usual. I did not let it idle. I stopped to chat with a fellow wheeler and as soon as I let it idle it died. I talked to the guy for about 15min.

No start again. I hopped up and down on the pegs and thumbed the starter it started again.

I drove it home. It ran great. All the wheelie popping power I have grown accustomed to. When I got home and let it idle it died. No start. Hopped it starts up.

This was yesterday. I have not tried starting it today.

WTF!!! :mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like maybe you have a bad ground wire connection.

#3 ·
I have been real busy lately and I have not had any time to work on the bike. I have ridden it though and I noticed that this only happens when it gets wet. like after i wash it.

I am going to replace the sparkplug boots and wires with some automotive stuff tomorrow. Ill post back with results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.