Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

blown motor or blown clutch?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  twyztid 
#1 ·
did a 160 mile ride this weekend.yesterday on the last riding day I noticed my drivetrain started to get a ticking sound.to me it sounded like a stretched chain with slack internally.checked my oil and it seemed fine.made it back within a half mile of my truck and my oil light came on.i shut it off and let the fan cool it for about ten minutes.started it again and limped it back to my truck.when I tried to start it to see what went wrong it sounded like metal scouring on metal.i shut it off and have not started it since.i have a yfz catch can and I fill the oil until its full on the dipstick without threading it in.plus this was the second ride on fresh oil.im hoping that was just a connection issue.a little history.it has fst 730 kit that has been absolutely reliable and unbelievably fast for the last 6 or 7 years!i know these engines are rugged and I'm hoping that its my clutch.my clutch has been unserviced other than one belt swap and a couple spring swaps in almost 13 years.i bought this bike brand new in 05.i have 1000's of miles on this clutch.im praying its the clutch.a motor rebuild isn't in the budget right now.im going to buy a epi puller and pull the clutch off and see if the sounds goes away.how can I tell if the clutch is bad when I pull the cover without starting it?is there play or slack?

#2 ·
If you don't see seriously worn sheaves right off the bat, you'll want to pull the faceplate off the clutch and check for a worn faceplate bushing and worn bushings in the weights.

Regardless, an oil light coming on and the metal on metal sound doesn't sound good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kevin.before I left for work this morning I tried starting it up.and it is the clutch..motor sounds perfect! Thank goodness.would it be cheaper to buy a used primary off eBay,or rebuild mine?i don't need anything more than a stock clutch.bike has more power than I need for trail riding..

#6 ·
Are the sheaves grooved? More than likely you need new moveable sheave, faceplate, and weight bushings and possibly new buttons. The faceplate & weight bushings can be done without separating the clutch. The other 2 items require splitting the clutch.

There is around $70 in bushings and another $75-$80 in spider buttons if yours are worn and/or can't be shimmed... plus labor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yeah.i emailed him.well,I found out that these clutches will last 12 years with zero maintenance..that's a damn good run?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.