Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Torque specs on engine case

28K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JDOklahoma 
#1 ·
I need to check all my engine bolts & head torque specs.

On the lt side there is several 8 mm bolts what is the specs

The manual in section 2-7 says crankcase bolts (m8) 20 N-m
and Crankcase bolts (M6) 9.8 N-m

What does the M-8 and M-6 stand for.
There is a couple of 10mm bolts on the lt side also.

I have the check the head bolts also Sec 2-6
Cylinder head bolt (M10) 49N-m I guess this is the 4 in the center
and (M6) 9.8 N-m.

Update ---> I borrowed a torque wrench , Still need to know what bolts have what specs

#5 ·
just a tip ... a torque wrench is only good for 75% of it's value ..

if your wrench is a 0-100ft lbs wrench it is only good for 25ftlbs to 75ftlbs ....

you cant use a 1/2 torque to do m6/m8 bolts .. you need a 1/4" inch pound torque ..

just want to save you alot of work... :D

#6 ·
Wooooo Hooooo Sears tools here I come :D Hunny I need a special torque wrench it only cost $400.00.

Sears,homedepot,lowes, don't carry one .
What about the ones in the Harbor freight tools are they worth anything
How about a 3/8 drive torque wrench

#8 ·
Borrowed a Torque wrench , still need to know what bolts have what specs

#9 ·
bossman all your torque specs are in the 1-3 pdf file of the service manuel , section 2-5 under periodic maintence.
ps. after reading a little farther you are alredy there (sec 1-3). if you go back a few pages it will explain it all. you only have to worry what the in lbs. and ft lbs. are.

#10 ·
I have a service manual coming any day now.
Do all the torque specs come as N-m?
I have a conversion book at work and did at one time have the formula for converting to ft/lbs.

Is 1/4 " torque the best all around size to get the jobs on the V done?

Sorry Boss---needed to ask. :)

#11 ·
Originally posted by Vance700@Mar 1 2005, 05:54 PM
I have a service manual coming any day now.
Do all the torque specs come as N-m?
I have a conversion book at work and did at one time have the formula for converting to ft/lbs.

Is 1/4 " torque the best all around size to get the jobs on the V done?

Sorry Boss---needed to ask. :)
a 3/8 will work but it has to go from 0 lbs to 75lbs,most start from 25 lbs and go up.

#13 ·
Ok found the case bolts
service manual

9-2 & 9-3 shows pics of bolts and torque specs
9-9
9-12
Still looking for head specs

#14 ·
I bought my son a 2003 lakota 300 sport I’m changing the front rocket and the engine case behind it as the previous owner the chain came off n cracked the case.... I have all the new parts can anyone tell me the torque specks on these bolts and for the nut to the sprocket also! I’d super appreciate it

#15 ·
You might try posting over in the Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota forum to see if anyone has a manual with the specs. I checked Manualslib.com and nothing showed up there. You may have to pony up $15 to get one from Tradebit.com:

KAWASAKI LAKOTA 300 2004 KEF300-B4 SERVICE MANUAL - Tradebit

It's well worth it if you're planning to keep the quad for a while. Otherwise, you can go by general torque specs for things like the case covers.

Small fasteners, like 8 or 10 mm don't need a ton of torque. It's usually something like (6.5 foot pounds / 78 inch pounds) of torque. For a sprocket, I'd lookup a similar chain driven Kawasaki and see what it calls for. It's probably around 90 foot pounds. This is for a KFX450R:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.