Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

took heads off

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  brute730 
#1 ·
i popped the heads off the bike i just bought.. i had thought it had a blown headgasket.. still not sure but this is what i found when i popped the heads off this evening..... what is this build up on the exhaust valves on the right head..
its like a gel or something seeping around the valve. it scrapes right off but i wasnt sure what it was or how it got there or why it is there.
anyone have an explanation for it???what would cause it.. and the discoloration of the valves.. the exhaust valves are a solid brown color but the intakes are horrible with black sut as you can tell... :blink:

help if it had pics huh.. here they are..

[attachmentid=26848][attachmentid=26849]

this bike sit for about 8 months too... not sure if that would contribute to the problem or not..

#2 ·
Looks to me like an oil-fuel-condensation cookie dough. It wouldn't be there if the quad didn't sit for so long.

#3 ·
The valves get that color,but the other crap is from water getting and causing rust and oxidation. B)

#5 ·
I doubt that,he is Fundy guy :rolleyes:

#6 ·
it couldnt of been a burn on me.. :p i just got the bike a few weeks ago.. a good friend of mine had had it and it had been sitting in his garage for months.. so that would explain the jelling issue on the valves..

what do you guy think of the valves though.. do they look like there in bad shape or are they still useable???

#7 ·
With the heads off you should install a sparkplug, tip the head so you can fill the chamber with paint thinner or varsol. Now you should be able to see if the valves are leaking. If the intake and exhaust ports show wetness it's time to get a valve job or at least lap the valves. Also check the deck surfaces for warpage. While your at it check the valve springs to see if they are in spec for pressure. Don't forget the rocker mod if it's an 04.
Aleck

#8 ·
:tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
With the heads off you should install a sparkplug, tip the head so you can fill the chamber with paint thinner or varsol. Now you should be able to see if the valves are leaking. If the intake and exhaust ports show wetness it's time to get a valve job or at least lap the valves. Also check the deck surfaces for warpage. While your at it check the valve springs to see if they are in spec for pressure. Don't forget the rocker mod if it's an 04.
Aleck
[/b]
What would be the chances you are running a race fuel like VP Ultimate 4 (U4) or c12 or c16? The Paraffin bases and some of the Benziene compounds will leave a gel-like coating that is very resistant to carb cleaners and solvents. They are also very hard on diapragms and o-rings. These fuels are a "open and use it" type of fuel. Do not let this stuff sit for longer than two to three days MAX. I tore down a customer's Z400 race engine that had a solid 1/8th of an inch of this "VP sap" on top of the piston.

#10 ·
i know.. im not using this motor anyway.. im selling the entire thing so its not a big deal.. im going to clean it all up and tear it down to sell... a few cans of cleaner and ill have it shining..

#12 ·
yeah i need to get you those fst pistons and cylinders too so he can check the clearance for me so ill know if i can run them or not.... when are you coming to get them.. :clap:

#14 ·
yeah i need to get you those fst pistons and cylinders too so he can check the clearance for me so ill know if i can run them or not.... when are you coming to get them.. :clap:
[/b]
I guess it is my turn to make the journey. :p ......also need to see Braden's new bedroom painted in Kawi green. :tup:

#15 ·
pipo???? what about the race gas?????

this bike never seen anything but 87octane i can guarantee that... :p ...

yes trevor, he wanted kawie green for his new room... i dont see how he is going to sleep at night with those walls... :blink:

make the trip or i can meet you after work tomorrow.. i have to go in at 4...am.. :pissed: i might get off by 5pm.. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.