Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

New Heads?

756 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kujo 
#1 ·
So it appears, from what I have read that the biggest hinderance to the V making big power, easy, is the head design. It just doesn't flow well, like say the KFX450R head. Has anyone tried making new heads to correct the problem?

#4 ·
I know they can be ported and polished to flow better, my question, and maybe I am misinformed, relates to the actual design of the heads. I think the design itself limits the flow of the heads, even if "massaged". IF this is true, why no new heads? I remember seeing a thread once that stated regardless of valves, head work, and/or cams, the head won't flow a great amount...

#5 ·
what are you planning on running as far as motor work? It must be something big to be considering designing new heads. There are alot of BIG cc motors and turbo motors that are running stock ported heads with big valves.

#6 ·
Actually, My thought about the design of new heads has more to do with smaller bore or stock bore motors. By default a higher flowing head would benefit a big bore motor to an even greater extent. I was looking at somem KFX450r builds and they are getting 60+hp out of stock bore motors. One of the reasons that has been pointed to as a reason why this is possible is the head design and how well it flows. So if a 450 can gain 30ish HP because, primarily of head design, the a better design on a 700 should be ridiculous. Now I know it won't be equal due to overall engine design but would seemingly be substantial. When lots of car motor builders "work" a motor, they frequently look at heads before bore, not just size but flow characteristics. I wondered why this had never been considered...

#7 ·
Search up a picture of a Kawi head, look at the port sizes, and then compare it to a head from a Can Am 800. There is no comparison.

#8 ·
ray has been heavily modding brute heads for a while.. the old intake flange is cut off and a new bigger one is welded higher up to for a better angle to the valves.. they flow something like 80% more when done.. there are pics somewhere on here of them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.