Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota The revolutionary long-lasting Mojave, and it's close cousin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View coolzzy's Photo Gallery(0)
Default HELP, running too lean

Well I bought a second Lakota since my 96 has served me soo well. I got a 2000 sport, but it sat for awhile and would only run with the choke on. When the choke is off it dies immediatly, unless you remain on the gas in which case it pops/backfires through the carb. It will drive with the choke on, but not very well, and with the choke half way and the idle up, it only has power on the very low end, then its just a big flat spot on the throttle regardless of gear.

So I pulled the carb today and the pilot jet (the recessed one) was all clogged up. I got it clean so i could see daylight through it, as well as the other two which were pretty clean. I sprayed carb cleaner through all the holes and it came out where it was supposed to. Put it all back together and no change!!

So i noticed that at idle with half to 3/4 choke, i can see white smoke coming out the tailpipe. All my reading points to running too lean. Is there an adjustment someplace i'm missing to cure this? I checked the boot and it was not cracked, looks to be in pretty good condition. Let me know. I stupidly put it all back together and am not in the mood right now to tear all the plastics back off to get that carb back out. Can it be removed with only removing the seat side of the plastics?? Let me know, thanks!
coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Timberwolf 8199's Photo Gallery(1)

Sounds exactly like what mine did to me at one point. You're definitely running lean. In my case, the o-ring between the carb holder and the head was shot. The boot itself was good, but without that o-ring it'll run like crap.

Also, when you take it apart next time, confirm that the jetting is appropriate....if you have an aftermarket pipe and/or clamp on filter the jets should be larger than stock. Check your mixture screw as well (ie: how many turns out is it?).

Mine no longer has the airbox on it. I've replaced it with a clamp on filter and you can pull the carb without taking any plastics off. It's a little more akward because you have to work underneath the plastic from the side, but it's a whole lot faster than pulling plastic everytime.
Timberwolf 8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Is there a way to test that or would or be pretty obvious when I take the boot off? Is this one of those times where I can spray carb cleaner on it when it's running and t will change the idle? Could it also just be the air mixture screw is gummed up? When I cleaned the carb, I didn't remove that screw, is it something that could get clogged or is it just a screw?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View canada's t4's Photo Gallery(0)

it is a carb cleaner idle raiser issue just spray it around the boot where it mates to the head and it should raise the idle

`2005 bruteforce 750i
26 inch mudlites
moose power module
passenger seat
warn winch
fairing
muzzy pro
`1996 ski doo formula 3 600 triple(AKA the purple screamer)
`2006 brutefore 650i( getting complete rebuild from frame up)
canada's t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #5

the mixture screw is also a possibility, but if you do the carb cleaner test first, it may save you some time.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #6

I tried that this morning, no change. I dropped it off at the mechanic this morning shortlyafter and he said the carb had to be boiled our something overnight to make sure all the crap is out of it. How he knows what he is doing because obviously I didn't. I'll let you know, its only gonna be 65 bucks plus parts if any are needed so not too bad.. On a semi related note, does anyone know where I can find a cheap headlight (enclosure, complete) for a lakota? I'm moving the single light to the rack and need a second one to run duals like my 96...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #7

I might have one or two laying around. I did the opposite. Mine came with two and I went down to one in the hood when I pulled the rack off. I'll check if I can find them.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Well it turns our my idle circuit (recessed pilot jet) passages in the carb were still clogged and I needed up the diaphragm when I reinstalled it. Luckily it did not tear and they were able to redo it correctly.....but it still won't idle! They say it would idle without choke but slowly dies out. They said it's either because I didn't leave them the airbox with the bike or that the valves are out of adjustment. Could this behavior be caused be valves? It starts super easy.... I dropped the airbox off with them this morning and they will let me know, hopefully its something that simple as back pressure...

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Search tags for this page
300 bayou carb too lean

300 bayou runs lean

atv running lean

atv running lean kawasaki

fourwheeler is running to lean
how to adjust atv running too lean?
john deere kawasaki runs lean

kawasaki bayou 300 running lean

kawasaki bayou 300 running too lean

kawasaki lakota popping out of the tailpipe
kawasaki mule 610 valve clearance
what should i do if atv is running lean
white smoke on aircooled atv from running lean
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.