Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota The revolutionary long-lasting Mojave, and it's close cousin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View johnh's Photo Gallery(0)
Default Kawasaki lakota 300 backfires & coughs above idle running rich

Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I have a 2001 Lakota sport that backfires and coughs above idle. I have adjusted the valves, cleaned the carberator, checked the diaphram in the carberator, made sure the choke is closing. It idles fine but as soon as you give it gas, it pukes black smoke. It gets worse as it warms up so I know that it is running too rich. I have researched this online. It seems to be something that stumps a lot of people but I have not found any solutions online. Any help would be appreciated.
The bike might have 20 hours on it. It sat for a while. I got it from the original owner with no mods. It is totally stock.
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Timberwolf 8199's Photo Gallery(1)

Running lean can cause a black smoke. Usually rich conditions produce more of a gray smoke....have you smelled it, does the exhaust smell like gas?

To be honest it sounds more like a lean condition to me. The stock carb works on a vacuum. Pushing the throttle opens up the air first, and as airflow increases it pulls more fuel in (which causes a slight delay in throttle response and is why people commonly replace the stock carb with one that has an accelerator pump). In your case, it would mean that when the valve opens to increase airflow it never has a chance to suck more fuel because your mixture goes super lean and the engine can't keep running and pulling it in.

If it's too rich, it should be an easy fix. It can only get fuel from one place...your tank. You just need to reduce the amount that is being delivered. Change your jets, check your float level, and make sure your air filter is clean.
Being too lean is a much more common problem and a much more difficult problem to find because the engine's source for air is everywhere and sometimes it pulls from places you don't want it to.

You said that you checked the diaphragm and cleaned the carb. Have you checked the O-ring between the carb holder and the cylinder head? Also, check the petcock/fuel line to make sure fuel delivery is sufficient. Your float level is a good place to look as well (whether lean or rich). If it's too high it'll dump fuel into the carb, if it's too low the jet won't be able to pick up fuel at all. Do you know what jet sizes you currently have in your carb? Also, if it's running rich it should run better without the air filter. If it's running lean it should run worse without the air filter. In either case, make sure it's clean.

Last edited by Timberwolf 8199; 01-07-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Timberwolf 8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

View Mojavekid18's Photo Gallery(0)

You also said it was sitting, how long have you ran it after you cleaned it up? If not for long there could still be dirt/something in the motor like oil making it do that. But timberwolf was dead on thats what i would check if you have run it for more than 20 minutes. Also my mojave would get tons of oil in the airbox if i overfilled it and make it smoke, but it was more of a grayish smoke

1979 Honda xl 75 needs stator

01 Kx 125, Athena Piston and rings, Fresh rebuilt shock and alot more
Mojavekid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

View jonboy's Photo Gallery(0)

Have you checked the valve lash? If it gets worse as it warms up it could be the valves not seating properly and causing it to load up the cylinder and possibly fouling the plug. Lakotas are jetted a little rich from the factory because they are air cooled and it helps them run a tad cooler. I would definately give a check. It is really simple to do. Might as well rule it out. Then you can move on to other causes, like a dirty air filter or over oiled filter.
04 KFX400,Crasko 450bbk, Crasko P&P,DRZ flywheel,Web cams,custom Yosh header w/FMF PC4,FCR39,ESR intake,Leager A arms,ESW modded 450r shocks,GTT rear link,Tag stem and bars,JBcustoms frame gussets,LSR axel,YFZ450 front calipers.

99 Lakota, DG excellerator,400ex carb,CWR 335 kit,CWR .390 cam,JB custom intake,Crasko P&P head,400ex rear hubs, Modified KFX400 front suspension.

88 Tecate 4 mostly stock Bills pipe and works shocks.

Sponsors, JBcustoms,6thPinned Motorsports,Crasko Performance.

Last edited by jonboy; 01-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Timberwolf 8199's Photo Gallery(1)

good call jonboy, thats a definite possibility.
Timberwolf 8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

View johnh's Photo Gallery(0)

In my 1 post i stated i ajusted valves but thank you for the help. I sold it life is to short.

Thanks again Guys
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

View tdietz59's Photo Gallery(0)

I have the same machine, and it would backfire when i applied gas. i had a cam-shaft that got rounded off on the exhaust side and when it spun around the exhaust was trying to go out threw the intake. pull out the cam shaft and inspect it
tdietz59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Search tags for this page

1999 mojave sounds like its out of gas

2000 lakota 300 smoking
atv fires sometimes , warms up then goes dead

fuel pump diaphragm. for suzuki quadrunner 96 mod.

how to jet lakota300 sport

kawasaki lakota 300 carburetor

kawasaki lakota 300 only runs at idle

kawasaki lakota 300 vacuum lines

kawasaki lakota backfires
kawasaki lakota carburetor popping off idle
kawisaki 300 richcarb
what how much valve lash on my kawasaki lakota sport

why does kawaski 400 bayou puff black smoke when pulling a load

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.