Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Help Changing Front sprocket

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  chris0561 
#1 ·
I have a 14t Front sprocket for my 02 mojave. which way are the threads on the bolt? i can't seem to get it loosened... also have a 37t rear sprocket on the way

#6 ·
im getting around 62mph right now. 66 if i push the rev limiter hard. plenty of power to get there. its got high compression piston and rings and few more after market parts. im pretty sure im running 12/41 but it rides to high rpm and first gear is still useless even in mud i can use second without a problem. whats the internal transmission ratio?

#8 ·
It's still not fun to do, but I always put a bar through the rear sprocket to keep things from turning rather than use the transmission to hold it. Less chance of breaking internal parts that way. I also use our 3/4 drive socket set, but not everyone has that laying around.

#9 · (Edited)
So, you currently have a 12/41 (0.293 ratio) and want to go to a 14/37 (.378 ratio). If you're getting 66mph currently, you're new maximum will be 85mph (66*[.378/.293]) assuming you still have enough power to hit the rev limiter. You may be surprised at how quickly the power goes away. After all, wind resistance goes up by the square of your speed. You also asked about a 12/37 ratio, it would get you to 73mph.

#11 ·
I got that it has plenty of power now and I don't mean to say you won't have enough later. I was just trying to point out that the speed I told you is the maximum achievable assuming nothing else changes, but that we know other things will change...one example being wind resistance. Which when increasing from 66mph to 85mph rises to 165% of what it was previously so you may find that you have something else limiting you after you make the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.