Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Lakota Sprocket Removal

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tcanthonyii 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a Lakota and have been trying to replace my rear axle bearings and running into 10 kinds of trouble. I can't get the axle out of the carrier housing (I think the bearings spun on the axle and are stuck), so I'm trying to get the entire carrier/axle setup out of the swing arm.

I can't get the retaining ring that is in the chain sprocket flange out. I've tried using a regular set of piston ring pliers, but there is really no room to expand it inside the sprocket flange. I've also tried hammering an ice pick behind it, but that doesn't work either. Is there a trick to getting the ring out, or do I need the actual Kawasaki tool for this?

#2 · (Edited)
I recently changed out the bearings on my mojave. They're the same thing in the back, I have both mojave and lakota. You don't have to take off the ring on the sprocket side.

First off, take the wheels and hubs off. Then disconnect the brakes. (Just take the calliper off the disk.)
Then loosen the two lock-nuts that hold the axle on. (If you still have the chain on, that will help you with loosening the nuts.) The brake rotor will then slide off just like the wheel hubs.

You do have to take the C-ring off on the brake side.

Then, take the chain off. Try and slide the axle out. You may be able to knock on the brakes-side of the axle to help get it off. Just try not to damage anything.

When you get the axle out, loosen the two bolts on the very end of the swing arm that clamps the bearing carrier in place. You should be able to get the carrier out without much trouble. Just make sure you take it out from the right side lol.

The bearings are the hardest part. You may have to use a torch to heat up the carrier to get them out. Try to get the bearing out as a whole, it's easier. I had to cut one of mine and torch the other.

While you're doing this, clean up the axle and other parts really well with something like a metal brush. Then drop the axle and new bearings in the freezer.

When you get the old bearings out, heat up the bearing carrier with the torch. You should probably grease it inside first. Heat it up from the outside. The new bearings should drop in without much trouble.

As a precaution, get a 2x4 and cut it so that it fits well into the large opening of the bearing carrier. Stubborn bearings will go in with a little tapping.

After new bearings are in, grease the frozen axle a little, then slide it into the bearings. You can now put it all back together, and you're done!

Oh, and remember that you can tighten the chain. Not too tight though. :)

#3 ·
I can't get the retaining ring that is in the chain sprocket flange out. I've tried using a regular set of piston ring pliers, but there is really no room to expand it inside the sprocket flange. I've also tried hammering an ice pick behind it, but that doesn't work either. Is there a trick to getting the ring out, or do I need the actual Kawasaki tool for this?
Ok, I assume you mean the ring under the sprocket flange. That one does not come out, you slide the axle out in that direction. No clamp comes off of that side. Looking at it from the rear, everything slides out to the left.

#4 ·
Ok, I assume you mean the ring under the sprocket flange. That one does not come out, you slide the axle out in that direction. No clamp comes off of that side. Looking at it from the rear, everything slides out to the left.
Yep, that's the ring I'm talking about. I took all the wheel hubs, axle nuts, and brake rotor off. The axle is stuck. The axle goes to the left and the carrier comes out of the swing arm to the right. I'm wanting to get the whole axle carrier out so that I can get it on my workbench and really beat on it. That's why I need the sprocket flange off.

#5 · (Edited)
[/quote]Yep, that's the ring I'm talking about. I took all the wheel hubs, axle nuts, and brake rotor off. The axle is stuck. The axle goes to the left and the carrier comes out of the swing arm to the right. I'm wanting to get the whole axle carrier out so that I can get it on my workbench and really beat on it. That's why I need the sprocket flange off.[/QUOTE]

That ring can not be removed until the axle is off.

Spray the axle with WD-40 or something, just hose it. That may knock some of the rust and dirt out.

Also try tapping the right end of the axle with a sledge hammer, see if it doesn't move. Once you get the axle out you can get the carrier out no problem. Axle is easier to take out while still attached to the quad, I would think.

Yes, I looked and you are correct, the carrier does come out to the right, my bad.

I hope the bearings are easier. Good luck!

#6 ·
Between rust and old grease, it will be a pain to get the axle out. I would leave the carrier in and clamped. Pull the nuts and brake hub off and have someone hold a block of wood against the end of the axle to prevent damage, while you go to town with a good size hammer. The inner bearing races are a tight fit on the axle and will put up quite a fight. I done this a bunch of times and even with things greased, it still can put up a fight.

Unless you have a huge press to put the carrier in, you're actually better off letting the weight of the quad work for you with things still attached. If you can get one of the old bearings out whole, I like to take them to the grinder and make the outside diameter slightly undersized to use as a bearing driver for the new ones.

If you break a bearing and have just a race stuck in the carrier, see if you can find a friend with a welder. Weld a bead on the inside of the race and when it cools, it will shrink and usually just slide out. If not you can weld a chunk of metal to the race to give you something to hit from the other side.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help guys! Yep, I had to really beat on that s.o.b. to get the axle out. Ha! I had the torch out and ready to light into the carrier when I decided to give it one more rousing round of 20 lb sledge blows.

You were right gunrun, I can't take that snap ring off until the axle is out. Mojave, good call on the welding of the race. I'd seen it done before and it's a pretty slick trick.

#8 ·
Mine was a pain in the butt as well. Took 45 minutes of torching to get the lock nuts off. Then some generous pounding to get it out. My bearings were completely blown apart and the balls were doing damage to the carrier. Luckily not enough that I couldn't put the bearings back in. Not sure how someone could let it get so bad. I don't even want to know how many hours mine has on it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.