Kawasaki ATV Forum Header   Kawasaki ATV Forum Header Right
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota The revolutionary long-lasting Mojave, and it's close cousin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

View RAMMBRUTE's Photo Gallery(0)
Lightbulb Mojave/Ninja EX500 engine swap

Hi all,

I have embarked on a project that I think will be a match made in heaven. I have done quite a bit of armchair research and believe that a 87-'09 500cc Ninja/EX 500/GPZ500 engine would be almost the ideal candidate for the Mojo chassis. Now before all the naysayers chime in let me be the first to say that this project will not be for the faint of heart and nor will the result. I am a skilled CNC machinist/welder/fabricator/engine builder so as far as making it happen that is covered. I know that weight will invariably increase and I also don't want to lose reverse. However I will trade reverse for a sixth gear and electric start Also it would seem that these 500cc engines are basically two Mojave engines put together (they even use the same pistons, valves, springs etc...) Now here's the best part--they produce 50+hp rev to 11,500 rpm and the parts are friggin cheap compared to the gouging you get when trying to get a Mojo part. I'm fed up with my son's Mojo engine and that is what spurred this on. So I will document, and share as I go if there's interest. I do and will need some help along the way I'm sure. In fact I could use some help locating a complete '90 and up 500 Ninja parts bike for relatively cheap. Also does anyone know the overall height of these powerplants. Will be posting pics soon. Any thoughts? Bring on the comments good or bad. J.Rob
RAMMBRUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
KawieRiders is the premier Kawasaki ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Banned
Feedback Score: 75 reviews

View DoubleTapXX's Photo Gallery(0)

Do you still have the Mojo Motor? I am in need of some small parts from one. If you have it and want to sell some of it let me know please. Thanks Pm me
DoubleTapXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

View Mojave Magic's Photo Gallery(0)

It's been done before, but I don't know much about what's involved with the swap. I'm sure if you search here and other sites, you can at least find some pictures.

Keep us posted, I have a soft spot in my heart for street bike powered quads. It's one of the things on my mile long wish list. If I get about $1 million saved, that will cover about half of what I want.

Riders4christ.com

In Memory of Christopher Riley Andrews
1-24-02 to 1-23-06
Mojave Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #4

View RAMMBRUTE's Photo Gallery(0)

It hadn't occured to me before but I guess I could sell the Mojo's 250 off. I was actually in the process of seriously doing it up (ported cyl head, Wiseco piston, larger stainless header pipe etc...) In fact I purchased a second cylinder head which I have had on and off the flowbench numerous times. I could use a set of cam caps so I could finish that head, it will also have +1mm KibbleWhite intake valves. These little heads can really flow some air+ I picked up over 20 cfm which I figure should be worth almost 6 hp and maybe 1000 more useable RPM. I also bought a second cylinder jug which is powdercoated black and is +1mm O.S. with a new Wiseco piston. The intent was to yank the stock engine, mount it to my Superflow 902 dyno and baseline it. Then swap out the cylinder head and piston, head pipe and re-test to see what it worth. However the cylinder head I purchased off of E-bag was sold to me without cam caps which renders the head useless until I can find some caps . So what this all means is if anyone wants to sell me some cam caps so I can finish the head I could then sell a very nicely ported cylinder head, cylinder jug with piston, as well as the whole other stock Mojo engine or just part it out as well. The prices will be very reasonable as I am one of those types that hates to see things that I've invested in just sit there. I would be happy to get what I paid for these items--just a fair buck. The stock Mojo engine actually ran really really well until the intake valves started to eat themselves up. It still runs but is not as powerful as it once was and is a total bitch to start. PM me or just post if you have cam caps or just want more info. You can see some more here see engine building www.skmfx.com J.Rob

Last edited by RAMMBRUTE; 01-27-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added text
RAMMBRUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Banned
Feedback Score: 75 reviews

View DoubleTapXX's Photo Gallery(0)

Pm sent on some Mojo Motor Parts. Let me know what you want for them. Thanks
DoubleTapXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

View MrTechEd's Photo Gallery(0)

A buddy of mine did this and was a strong runner and based it off the Mojave 500 dirtwheels had back in I believe was 2000. Pretty much it was fab up new mounts and modify the gastank (we used a heat gun after the tank had all gas vapors out of it) and custom make an exhaust and we used an aftermarket radiator. If you send me your email I ill see if I can find the article and send it to you.
MrTechEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #7

View nikkihtilley's Photo Gallery(0)

i too want to try that i just recently aquired 2 mojaves neither runnin but i think i can take the 2 motors and make one one frame is green and the other is grey i thought about either a 250 or a 500 ninja motor to go on it with true duel exhaust and a 1into2 carb
nikkihtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

View aces691's Photo Gallery(0)

i did the ex250 swap and it is wicked fast!!!! and 450 just cant keep up and it looks stock
aces691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #9

View nikkihtilley's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by aces691 View Post
i did the ex250 swap and it is wicked fast!!!! and 450 just cant keep up and it looks stock

Is it nice and tourqey i know the 250's have about 45 or so hp and i was just wondering how it was in the woods and that would be badass if it would outrun all the 450's lol and the 250 will keep the weight down v/s's the 500 and you would still have almost 100mph top speed to.

Nikkih
nikkihtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

View infantryvet's Photo Gallery(0)

The streetbike motors have taller gearing so dont expect brutal boost out the hole unless you have say 12/50 t sprocket combos.The 500 would be the better bet,a 250 twin will be all top end.I think they were rated for 28hp or so,seen in mags a while back.
and 91 lt250r oil burner,ported and piped runs good
infantryvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Back to Top    Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mojave/Lakota

Search tags for this page
ex500 motor swap
ex500 quad

ex500 streetfighter

kawasaki 250 mojave motor swap
kawasaki mojave 500

kawasaki mojave engine swap

kawasaki mojave has a 2005 500 ninja motor
mojave 250 motor swap

mojave engine swap

ninja 250 mojave
ninja 500 atv
ninja 500 motor 2012 ninja 250
ninja 500 quad
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.