Mule Pro FXT 2nd battery - Kawasaki ATV Forum
Kawasaki Mule Discussions for the Kawasaki Mule UTV (Kawasaki Mule Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mule Pro FXT 2nd battery

so they want $300 bucks for the 2nd batter kit. Can you not just add a battery in series?
Any help for cheaper solution would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 10:37 AM

I would think you'd want an isolator if running a second. What about adding a larger deep cycle?
post #3 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM

What's the advantage or purpose of a second battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCsimpleman View Post
What's the advantage or purpose of a second battery?
Running your accessories off the 2nd battery keeps you from draining the primary. Stereos, etc... a bit of insurance to keep you from getting stranded.

Also, you will definitely want some sort of isolator and there are few options to choose from. Basic relay ones might not pass the max voltage and cost less. There are some smart ones that will do a better job but cost a bit more. Really just comes down to how you plan to use it. Also be sure to match the amperage rating. The mule puts out more than most other UTV so be sure it is sized right.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP32...ttery+isolator

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Battery...ttery+isolator
post #5 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM

With a 75 amp alternator, I never pictured using all the battery juice running down the road. I plan on picking up a cheap jump box to keep under the seat though.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCsimpleman View Post
With a 75 amp alternator, I never pictured using all the battery juice running down the road. I plan on picking up a cheap jump box to keep under the seat though.
I hadnt really pictured it either but after this last round of updates, I have added 7 different LEDS lights which contribute to the draw. Lets see, heater, stereo, interior light, winch, backup camera, heated seats, usb/12v charger, etc... Starting to get close.. :-)
post #7 of 23 Old 04-03-2017, 06:21 PM

You do not want to run the battery in series. If you put two 12 volt batteries in series you will have 24 volts and that will fry the Mule. You would run them in parallel. Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative so you keep a 12 volt circuit. You can put an isolator between the two. Or you could put a switch to switch from battery A to battery B. If battery A goes dead, you could switch to battery B to start the Mule and then back to battery A to charge it. (if it is not to dead)
post #8 of 23 Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Just a thought, and it might not be for everybody, but instead of going through the hassle and cost of a second battery, I just bought this jump pack thing from Amazon. Then I ran a line from one of the back seat 12 volt receptacles to my under seat storage box. When the Mule is on, the jump pack is charging. The thing says it only needs to be charged once every few months or so, so I figure it should always be mostly or fully charged. Certainly charged enough to jump a Mule. It seemed a lot easier and cheaper than buying a second battery, especially since I still haven't drained my battery even when I leave some lights and the radio on for a while with the motor off.
https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-14000m...ump+start+pack
post #9 of 23 Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaanar View Post
Just a thought, and it might not be for everybody, but instead of going through the hassle and cost of a second battery, I just bought this jump pack thing from Amazon. Then I ran a line from one of the back seat 12 volt receptacles to my under seat storage box. When the Mule is on, the jump pack is charging. The thing says it only needs to be charged once every few months or so, so I figure it should always be mostly or fully charged. Certainly charged enough to jump a Mule. It seemed a lot easier and cheaper than buying a second battery, especially since I still haven't drained my battery even when I leave some lights and the radio on for a while with the motor off.
https://www.amazon.com/Beatit-14000m...ump+start+pack
Seems like an interesting alternative. If I understand it correctly, I am wondering how you keep from over charging the jump pack? Or are the electronics to govern the charge in the jump pack and not the jump pack charger?
post #10 of 23 Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 AM

It stops charging itself when its full. You can leave it plugged in all the time if you want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Kawasaki ATV Forum > Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical > Kawasaki Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode